• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

hi this is marty. first off did you install your own camper. not that it matters much who installed it. what is under the bed on the bottom side of the eye bolt. we will start there. marty

#22 oly884

oly884

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

hi this is marty. first off did you install your own camper. not that it matters much who installed it. what is under the bed on the bottom side of the eye bolt. we will start there. marty

I did not, the guy who delivered the camper to me did. As for what's under the eye bolt. The bottom of the bed, not super thick metal, and at the time I wondered about the strenght. Now, I know that it isn't super strong due to the bulge. Do you think making a bracket up myself would be the best bet?

#23 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

yes you should put metal plates under there. if it was me i would remove the two front eye bolts completly put a chunk of wood on the bulge and hammer it back into place. then make a paper pattern of the area around the eye bolt hole this should cover about 2 to 3 inches in all directions of the flat part of the bed. 3/16 plate ftat stock or close will solve your problem. try to put the eye bolts back in the same position if you can. if you break an eye bolt putting it back on make sure your new one is forged not just bent. the bulges are from the wind drag of your camper. marty to install the plate simply drill a 3/8 " hole in it and let the eye bolt hold it under there

#24 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

yes you should put metal plates under there. if it was me i would remove the two front eye bolts completly put a chunk of wood on the bulge and hammer it back into place. then make a paper pattern of the area around the eye bolt hole this should cover about 2 to 3 inches in all directions of the flat part of the bed. 3/16 plate ftat stock or close will solve your problem. try to put the eye bolts back in the same position if you can. if you break an eye bolt putting it back on make sure your new one is forged not just bent. the bulges are from the wind drag of your camper. marty to install the plate simply drill a 3/8 " hole in it and let the eye bolt hold it under there

Marty,
Do you reinforce the front eye bolts on the Tundra as well?
Thanks,
Jim

#25 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

the tundra bed is weaker in the front corners than the tacoma, yes i would put a plate under the front eye bolts. use the same dirrections i described for the tacoma. the rear bolts do not realy have any pressure aginst them. and everyone should know how to tighten up thier turnbuckles. do not overtighten. hand tight plus 1/4 to 1/2 turn using a stubby screwdriver for a handle. when you check for retightness don't just tighten the turnbuckles. wiggle them if they don't move they are tight. have a nice day. marty

#26 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:24 AM

Jim,

Ben here.

Yes we charge more for the tundra installation because we mount some steel plates under the front of the bed to reinforce it. Years ago we had a T-100 bed pull apart on us and this is how we were able to fix it once we had the bed fixed. We just started from then on to put the steel plates on all the T-100 and in turn the Tundra's now.

Sincerely,
Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

Ben,
I'm interested in learning more. I have a Tundra and am interested in putting a camper on it. I noticed on your website that you guys charge extra for installation on a Tundra. Does something need to be done to reinforce the Tundra bed? I have a 2000 extra cab.
Thanks,
Jim

#27 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:36 AM

Ben here:):)

Here is a picture of the pattern that we use for the steel plate on a Tundra. This gives you some idea of how we fit it under the truck.

Ben

Attached Thumbnails

• tundra steel small.JPG

#28 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:58 AM

Ben and Marty,
Thanks for all the help, you guys are great :D
Jim

#29 oly884

oly884

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:18 AM

Ben here:):)

Here is a picture of the pattern that we use for the steel plate on a Tundra. This gives you some idea of how we fit it under the truck.

Ben

Happen to have dimensions on that?

#30 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

Sent you a private message on that.

Happen to have dimensions on that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic