9 replies to this topic

#1 samstu

samstu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hey all:

My wife and I are taking our 06 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel dually to Death Valley for 3 weeks in Jan.  Driving from Ohio.  Will have our NCO 8 Alaskan camper on truck.  We are considering going to Saline Valley to check out hot springs.  This will be our 5th trip to DV.  First with non-rental car.

I only have one spare and I understand route through Saline is not for faint hearted.  I  do have snow chains.  So..

Can or Should I take off outer dual wheels on rear of truck once I get off pavement? Certainly don't need weight capacity of duals and it would narrow track of truck making passage a little easier.  Singles should do better in snow and mud.  As an added benefit, I would have 3 spares. 

Any experience to share??

Sam

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

Saline Valley Road shouldn't be an issue. Bat Rock Road may be a bit more challenging cutting across the wash depending on its condition, however, RV's seem to make their way out there each year. There are some large rocks in the road on the South Pass from what I've read recently so I would stick to the North Pass, but with likely recent snows I would also monitor Death Valley forums very carefully. Could be challenging getting in during the holidays depending on how much snow and rain has been received. Your vehicle is not ideal but should be able to make it. Hope you have quality off road tires a plug kit and a compressor at a minimum.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

To add... anytime you take dually on roads with possible larger sized rocks you would need to check between tires if you wedge a rock.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

If you stick to the main routes you should be OK if there are no washouts or big snowstorms.  I prefer North Pass myself to avoid the long washboards from the south.  However, North Pass has some shaded sections that may be icy if there's been snow.  Keep in mind that the county will likely have the roads posted as closed no matter what the conditions so its best if you can get beta from someone who has been in there recently,  You should check out Eureka Dunes while you're there, have fun!

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

Width isn't an issue. Its not a narrow road. If the rains haven't washed it out the road is in pretty good shape having been recently graded. I wouldn't go in on holiday weekend but thats just me.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

FYI

These photo's were posted on facebook in the last hour by NPS showing South Pass road conditions.

12:00 noon  12/18/14

Looking at the position of the sun, I'd guess they were taken this morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• saline 1.jpg
  • saline 2.jpg
  • saline 3.jpg
  • saline 4.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thanks K6on. I saw those on FB too. We're planning north pass on Saturday, but south pass may be what we do instead. Those rocks have been on the road for a few weeks. Looks like a dually can make it!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:32 AM

Andy,I'll be leaving Tucson saturday and plan on heading in southpass.I havent been in that way in 3 years.Probably see you and your better half when I get there.My camper is now on a 2011 Tacoma.

Bob, thanks fo the pics.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

Andy,I'll be leaving Tucson saturday and plan on heading in southpass.I havent been in that way in 3 years.Probably see you and your better half when I get there.My camper is now on a 2011 Tacoma.

Bob, thanks fo the pics.

Roger that.  We are leaving in an hour.   Should be some nice looking snow capped Inyo's!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

I would not worry too much about taking the outside tires off. Just watch the edges and frequently check for rocks. I have been in Forest Service duallies on some pretty bad roads, trails and skid trails and never had a problem other than rocks stuck between the tires. A good tow strap and a sharp tug is get the rocks out no problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users