• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

I did a search but could not find anything useful.  Has anyone added a lock to the door?

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

I was told that it is a D.O.T. requirement that it not be locked. In case of an accident it should be accessible to turn the propane off.

#3 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:59 PM

Yes, I added a lock.  I was told the same thing, if the door was locked in a fire, they'd just use an ax to get it open.  In that case, I don't care :-)

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#4 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

Locked mine as well...

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

I've also heard about the DOT requirement, however, I've never been able to find anything about it on-line, either at the U.S. DOT web site or using a general search for it. See if you can find anything about it on-line. Or, you may want to ask a local fireman about it.

After not finding any on-line reference to the DOT requirement, I went looking for a keyed lock to replace my latch. I was amazed how many vendors are out there. And, the toughest thing to figure out was the nomenclature of what the dimensions need to be for a replacement on their web site(s) or on Ebay auctions. There is the diameter of cylinder, which is pretty easy to figure out, then there is the depth of the cylinder, also easy to figure out and lastly the length of the rotating stop bar, again easy to figure out. However, it seems that each vendor lists those dimensions in a different order, or doesn't list all of the dimensions (they just give 1 or 2 dimensions, not all three).

The first one that I thought was correct, turned out to be too short. I then looked and looked and looked very carefully to find the right one, and when it arrived it actually fit. 

So, if there is a DOT requirement, I'm in violation of it, however, I'd guess that most fire trucks have a tool and a method that will "pop" the door open, even if there is a keyed lock on the door. 

Using a keyed lock on the propane locker door, I have a small amount of assurance that my $150 special horizontal propane tank will be there when I return to my camper. I always drive/travel with the propane tank valve turned OFF. If the valve or tank got damaged in the wreck, then no one should get close anyways and the sound of leaking propane is loud enough for people to hear quite a distance away.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 17 December 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#6 Fyreman

Fyreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:55 PM

This is my plan when I get around to it

http://www.amazon.co...X110_SY165_QL70

#7 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:57 PM

I also installed one.  Got this off Amazon http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I think I used the original latch part. Not only are my tanks save, my drain hose and some other items are secure.

#8 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

locked mine as well. simple barrel lock from hardware store for a few dollars
2003 FWC Eagle | 2003 Tundra | www.thenextadventures.com | www.facebook.com/thenextadventures | instagram@thenextadventures

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

Haven't locked mine nor do I plan to. You need a handful of wrenches to get it out anyway. The door is so flimsy I don't think a lock will slow anyone down. 

The big question, have your or anyone you know ever had their tank stolen?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

I asked FWC about getting one for me and they wouldn't do it. I have been wanting to get it done but haven't yet.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users