options I would like to see

FWC four wheel campers options

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

Here are some options I would like to have seen offered by FWC when I bought my 2014 Grandby:

• A choice of colors/patterns for the Formica counter tops
    • I don’t know what possessed the folks at FWC to assume that everybody would fall in love with that god-awful dark gray/brown sponge granite pattern for the counter tops. The white Formica they used to use added brightness to the interior and gave the illusion of space.  The dark granite pattern does just the opposite. I would never put such ugly Formica in my own kitchen. My guess is that their supplier must have offered them a great price for that awful stuff just to get rid of it. I suppose that dark pattern might appeal to some folks but not to me. If FWC offered a choice of Formica patterns it would expand the appeal of their product to more customers.
  • Hail protection
    • The one piece aluminum top looks nice now, but after the first hailstorm it will resemble the surface of the moon, or a golf ball. Parking under a tree during a storm is not safe. Covering such as a gas station may not be available at a moment’s notice. There must be some thin lightweight materials that they could use as roofing that would be strong and resilient enough to withstand the impact of hail, or when damaged could be more easily replaced.
  • Light blocking curtains
    • Why not offer curtains made of a material that is opaque to light? I don’t want people outside to see silhouettes on my curtains at night. What I am doing is none of their business. For that matter, they should make the vinyl for the popup section opaque, also.
  • Gray water storage
    • I’ll be building my own gray water storage this spring, but if it had been offered by FWC I would have bought it from  them.
  • A greater willingness to accommodate customer requests for particular mods & customizations
    • ATC will accommodate such requests but FWC will not. I asked about ordering a side dinette and I wanted to substitute the 3 piece portable table for the swing out table, but FWC refused my request. Why? If they would have honored that simple request I would have paid more money for the side dinette option. Since they would not, I went for the standard rollover couch instead.
  • I wish that mirror on the back lift panel was removable

These are just a few of the options I would like to have been offered. I would be interested to see what ideas others might have.

Thanks.

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Check out my post on making your own gray water storage http://www.wanderthe...-pipe-on-raven/

#3 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

that is exactly why I went with ATC instead of FWC. The willingness to have custom work done by ATC was the big selling point for me.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#4 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

that is exactly why I went with ATC instead of FWC. The willingness to have custom work done by ATC was the big selling point for me.

This is exactly the point. If you want something technically more progressive and don't need or want customization you choose FWC. If more customization is desired, then the choice is ATC. Two different business models to meet different needs.

#5 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

Is being so rigid that you send prospective customers to the competition a good business model? With a modicum of effort they could increase their customer base significantly. If the FWC product suited everyone out of the gate there wouldn't be so many folks on this forum modifying theirs. Why not FWC accommodate customer requests and take the profits themselves?

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

Is being so rigid that you send prospective customers to the competition a good business model? With a modicum of effort they could increase their customer base significantly. If the FWC product suited everyone out of the gate there wouldn't be so many folks on this forum modifying theirs. Why not FWC accommodate customer requests and take the profits themselves?

Check with their dealers, I expect most of them would be more than willing to build out a custom version for you - for a price.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

To paraphrase Lincoln...

"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."

I suspect that for each issue that you've brought up, there are going to be people who agree, and those who disagree.  Like you, there are a few things that I wanted FWC to do, but all things considered, I think you have a very nice camper.  I know that I like mine. There are modifications that you or a RV place can do to make it better fit your needs, but as pointed out above... "for a price."

I am haunted by waters

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

I will measure my response by saying "Don't sweat the small stuff".  For someone that spent 2 years researching, I'm very pleased with what FWC built for me.  I knew going in that they wouldn't provide any flexibility.  They really aren't loosing business.  There business model is to mass produce a very high quality camper at a very competitive price.  What they loose by not custom making, they are gaining ten fold with their pricing and quality.  My first question is if you needed to air your complaints and seem to be unhappy, why didn't you talk to ATC?  I don't think FWC deserves the bashing.  Not a lot of room for a gray water tank.  Most people connect a hose to a 5-7 gallon container or make their own like Bob M.  FWC's campers are light weight and that is a big plus.  Do you worry about your car or truck being damaged by hail?  You could have gone to Hallmark or Outfitter, spent double what you paid for your FWC and gotten a fiberglass roof.  Sorry but I think your complaints are unwarranted.  The reason they are doing modes are because they bought the FWC or ATC shell and are good with tools.  They save a bunch of money and finish the camper the way they want it.  I don't have the talents of people like Bill Harr, or Ski3pin.

Edited by longhorn1, 22 December 2014 - 05:55 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,013 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:19 AM

Very well said longhorn. If you want to see the downside of a custom build read this thread over at Expo.

http://www.expeditio...x-Pop-Up-Camper

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:23 AM

Also, in my scenario I'm not an ov erlander. Who knows how my gray water pipe would hold up if it was constantly buffeted by driving fast on washboard roads. I don't think fwc could add that customization with any guarantees. Besides its one of the easiest mods you can do yourself and its also modified based on your particular truck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by BobM, 22 December 2014 - 02:24 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, four wheel campers, options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users