156 replies to this topic

#151 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:34 AM

The lift panel handle is offset. Here is a picture of the skylight on Tom's camper.

9D6CAFAB-A5D2-438A-926D-EF4DD1D36B34_zps

If I ever get a custom build you can bet that will be included.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#152 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

Camping world has this one that heats and cools and can be run with a 2kw generator.

Propane would seem to be an better approach. than carrying gasoline for a generator plus propane for a fridge, heating and cooking.

Searching for "propane rv air conditioner" produced several hits that might be worth checking out.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#153 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

The cabinet set-up has a lot to do with whether the camper can have a AC unit.  For me my Grandby and front dinette would not allow.  I just wqent out and bought a small portable AC that ducts out the turn buckle door.  Works great, There is a picture on my blog.

Can you please give us a link?  Great blog, but I didn't see the A/C pics.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#154 JacintoKid

JacintoKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

Bombsight - this forum is heavily weighted toward people in the west, which IMO helps explain why so many can go without A/C.  Most of the great pics are at the desert, high altitude, or the beach...all generally cooler at night than a Southeastern summer.  I see you're in Texas, where A/C is probably more necessary for more of the year than for most of the other users here.  I bet most WTW posters probably don't carry generators as standard kit (although many do).

I'm in the Southeast as well, and an A/C is a requirement for me...even if I have to add an aftermarket one, and even if I have to carry a generator (which I already bought in preparation).

I think this is correct. We leave TX every summer for 2 weeks and always go west to escape the heat but, also just because we love the mountains. I don't bring my Honda 2000 along on these trips because we just don't need it but as you know, any type of camping in TX during the summer (and even spring and fall sometimes) requires AC unless you have a very high heat tolerance. I wish FWC had a factory AC option for the Fleet but I'll just work around it for our summertime beach trips with a temporary type setup. The obvious advantage to the temporary setup is that it's removable.

#155 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

I assume the skylight opens? I don't really care for a skylight but poking my head out would be nice.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#156 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:55 AM

+1 on the A/C on a front dinette.

Edited by Timothy McGowen, 08 May 2015 - 01:05 AM.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#157 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Can you please give us a link?  Great blog, but I didn't see the A/C pics.

Go to our blog and click on the McCormick's Creek Post.  The first photo shows the A/C Unit.  I believe i paid around $325 for the unit.  It has a self-contained de-humidifier.  I connect a short hose anyways and along with the large duct piping were run through a piece of single-ply roof with the holes cut out.  This covers the turnbuckle door completely so no bugs can get in.  It does take up a little of the aisle, but having the cool camper was the better alternative.  I take it when we are camping with shore power and the temperatures are hot.  It rides behind the drivers seat.

http://www.compactap...te/PAC701W.html

Edited by longhorn1, 11 May 2015 - 11:56 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, four wheel campers, options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users