156 replies to this topic

#11 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

Very well said longhorn. If you want to see the downside of a custom build read this thread over at Expo.

http://www.expeditio...x-Pop-Up-Camper

I have followed that post from the beginning.  In fact when I was doing my research and asked about that particular manufacturer, I was directed by another FWC owner to check that out at expeditionportal.  I continue to read every new posting.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'd like to see a north-south upper sleeping option with NO pull-out. Neither company seemed too interested in building us a camper with a no pull-out East-West upper sleeping arrangement much less a North-South version. Our used Phoenix already has this in an East-West configuration.

I can see why customs would be a problem on a production line. I think that by making the common custom options available in a modular manner that most special requests could be accommodated without disrupting production. Some "foundation" components would need to be able to work with any combo of options. Ever notice how all cars of a given model have the same wring loom regardless of the trim level? Low end models have several to many unused connectors under the dash while the top end models have all of the connectors occupied? The loom is the same, what varies is what gets plugged into it. That is the approach to take for custom production units.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'd like to see a north-south upper sleeping option with NO pull-out. Neither company seemed too interested in building us a camper with a no pull-out East-West upper sleeping arrangement much less a North-South version. Our used Phoenix already has this in an East-West configuration.

I can see why customs would be a problem on a production line. I think that by making the common custom options available in a modular manner that most special requests could be accommodated without disrupting production. Some "foundation" components would need to be able to work with any combo of options. Ever notice how all cars of a given model have the same wring loom regardless of the trim level? Low end models have several to many unused connectors under the dash while the top end models have all of the connectors occupied? The loom is the same, what varies is what gets plugged into it. That is the approach to take for custom production units.

The FWC flat bed models are NO pull-out cabovers with storage underneath the bed but still in the East-West configuration.  However to do that the cabover height is increased.

#14 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

I wish my Hawk had under bed storage for bulky lightweight items like; clothes, towels and blankets.

#15 Jon&Sue_DeArman

Jon&Sue_DeArman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Washington

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

I wish my Ranger would Pop itself up & down without me having to do anything but drink a beer while waiting

#16 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:11 PM

Very well said longhorn. If you want to see the downside of a custom build read this thread over at Expo.

http://www.expeditio...x-Pop-Up-Camper

That is quite a saga.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#17 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

I have my FWC Hawk on order right now. 

I do wish FWC provided an option (cost +) way of doing custom work. I would rather have them do things, like drill holes in the walls at the factory then have to work it out myself. 

My suggested options (no particular order) - 

1.) Cell Phone Booster 

2.) Upgraded charger/inverter

3.) Grey Water (yes I know I can DYI)

4.) Longer beds (I am 6'6")

5.) RotoPax mount

6.) Bike Mount

7.) Ports (i.e. predrilled holes with wire pass thrus for customer use, in my case Sat Phone antenna and cell booster)  

8.) Delete for cook top. 

9.) Outside stove. 

10.) Microwave (to go with upgraded inverter/charger) 

I would be willing to pay for each one of these, but it's a no go with FWC. I don't mind do the work myself, but I would rather not. 

#18 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

Let's be careful what we wish for. FWC is such a reliable product because they know what they do well and don't haphazardly do customizations. I have been following FWC now for about 4years. They are adding more options slowly. Hopefully it is because they are trying to master the product and installation first.

The more gadgets the more opportunity for breakage and malfunction. I like my FWC because of its simplicity which makes it dependable. BTW the factory installed AC just died.

The premise of FWC when it started, as told by the fellas at ATC (and former employees of FWC from the beginning) was to build a simple camper for people to go Elk Hunting on the weekends. I suspect there were no cell phones and microwaves at that time and to have one in a camper was likely unheard of.

The good news is there are companies the will do whatever customizations you want - I will refer you to MYTACO over on Expo - he was looking for lots of shiny objects - look where that got him.

Stan if your reading Please don't change my beloved FWC! I like it just the way it is!

Edited by Ramblinman, 22 December 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#19 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

I don't think the people that want more "customization" with FWC really understand what it means from a business and/or a production standpoint. Many have already pointed out the issues and there are plenty of other manufacturers out there that willing to accommodate them.  FWC is doing what they do and they do it well.  While it may not seem like a big deal to have options like a rotopax mounts or to change a few things, it's a big deal when you are basically mass producing units.  Custom stuff takes a huge amount of time and changing things usually leads to changes in other things.  Not an easy model to work with and you will not be able to produce a consistent number of units per year.   

In my spare life, I help out in a custom shop building custom aluminum jetboats. There is no "option list"  other than whatever you want on it and where ever you want it.  It takes an extraordinary amount of time to incorporate non-standard things into a build. The customer is allowed to change and vary dimensions to meet their needs like bottom widths, side height, or beam.  This translates into every boat is custom fabricated one at a time...there is no "production".  There are manufacturers that build the same product and they produce 150-200 boats a year. We are lucky to build 35 - 40.  Sourcing vendors for products and pricing is a huge pain and while you do custom stuff, you try to keep costs in check.

I think FWC does a great job of offering what most people want or need.  They move enough units and make enough profit to be able to innovate some and make improvements that can be incorporated into their production line to make a quality pruduct.  Their relative simplicity is a big selling point.  If a guy want's gadgets, those can be done by the owner.  I seriously doubt anyone is losing sleep over losing a handful of potential customers a year because of a lack of customization options.  It's simply not their gig... 

sign0134.gif

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#20 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

IMHO there is a big difference between options and custom.  I think FWC could have a larger list of options available if there was a demand for it.   A plug-n-play option is a money maker, look at the upgraded sinks and cooktops.  It takes input from us, the consumer,  to let the manufacturer know what the market would like.  So when I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be about ideas but I guess I was wrong. :huh:

Cheers 

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, four wheel campers, options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users