East of the Mississippi FWC owners chime in

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#101 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

I'm heading up tomorrow for a Saturday night camp and explore around Rt60/605 as a start. Oronoco campground. Was planning on going down FR39 towards Lynchburg Reservoir or over to Panther Falls area (I think that's what it's called). If anyone is interested, you can't miss me, black Ram 2500 with a FWC Hawk.

ETA: Change of plans. Will be up there Friday evening.

Edited by Jollyrogers, 14 June 2015 - 10:20 PM.

#102 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

So we got to Oronoco "campground" around 7pm. A few people were there. We set up on Peddler River. Someone had left a nights worth of firewood :-). Bugs were bad! But it was an Ok spot. Rode up to get sugar in Buenna Vista, then drove down Panther Falls and around Reservoir Rd. Pretty disappointed. Roads were nice and passable, limited areas to camp though. Almost went down to the off road area further south, but the map I had said limit to 50" wide vehicles. I never did find emerald creek or any of the 'rough' stuff. Ended up camping at Reservoir and Camping Swap crossover area.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434320811.667386.jpg

Edited by Jollyrogers, 14 June 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#103 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Hi my name is Keith. I live in southeastern Wisconsin and I picked up a 2011 FWC Hawk last October. Soon after I started following WTW looking for ideas.

During the winter I added a Trimetric 2030 battery monitoring system with 100 amp shunt, a SC-2030 solar charge controller, 2 Renogy 100 watt flexible lightweight solar panels and 2 Cabela size 24 AGM batteries.

By researching on WTW I was able to find the spot on the roof to access the wiring for solar and installed a plug in the roof. I used double face tape and silicone caulk to fasten the panels to the roof. I didn't like the bulky connections on the panel so I cut them off , soldered and sealed the connections and used a couple of waterproof wire nuts.

I remounted the thermostat to make room for the trimetric, the shunt is underneath behind the cabinet, and the charge controller is mounted in the cabinet below the door. I have atttached photos of the install.

My camper is used primarily in northern Wisconsin but I did take a 9 day trip to Utah in June. All operations worked well and I didn't need to plug in once while I was gone. The charge would get back to 100% most days while keeping the beer cold in my Engel fridge , along with extra power in the afternoons to charge my computer with a small inverter.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015-07-04 10.29.13.jpg
  • 2015-07-04 10.29.48.jpg
  • 2015-07-04 10.12.08.jpg
  • 2015-07-04 10.17.33.jpg
  • 2015-07-04 10.18.50.jpg
  • 2015-07-04 10.20.19.jpg
  • 2015-07-04 10.25.10.jpg
  • 2015-07-04 10.25.49.jpg

#104 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Nice setup!

#105 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

Hi my name is Keith. I live in southeastern Wisconsin and I picked up a 2011 FWC Hawk last October.

<snip>

Keith, welcome to WTW!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#106 wi_hawk

wi_hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGB, WI

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

Keith,  Welcome to WTW and would be nice seeing you in the northwoods. Lot of places to go in WI & UP MI  

#107 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

Keith, welcome to the group.   I am glad you've found good information here.

I am haunted by waters

#108 Main Line Overland

Main Line Overland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

FWC_EastCoastRally.jpg

As some of you know, Main Line Overland, the East Coast Dealer for FWC, is hosting the 2nd Annual Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival from August 13-16th in Huntingdon, PA. This year we are organizing the factory-sponsored Four Wheel Campers East Coast Owners' Rally at the festival, which is located on our 220 acre farm in the rolling hills of Stone Mountain valley, with frontage for fly fisherman and anglers along the renowned Standing Stone Creek. There will be winch and recovery workshops from Garrett Porterfield from Overland Experts, talks from E7 Adventurer and Publisher of Overland Journal, Scott Brady, and many others throughout 4 days of camping, trail riding, vendor hopping, live music, and trading stories with fellow camper owners and adventurers. Stan Kennedy, FWC's factory Sales Manager will also be at the festival to meet and answer your questions, as well as the FWC sales and installation team from Main Line Overland. Our goal is to see the biggest ever line-up of Four Wheel Campers on the East Coast, so we are challenging all owners to come and give the West Coast rally a run for its money!

Registration is open and space is limited, so secure your spot today at: overlandfestival.com

Edited by Main Line Overland, 09 July 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#109 SCAROLINAHAWK

SCAROLINAHAWK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

New East ofs!!,

Leaving here F to begin the drive to CA for pick up of our new HAWK which will go on our 2015 Ford F150 4x4 off road.

We were delayed by a few minor issues: tracking a leak in an air bag(an unsquare hose cut) and discovering that though there are trailer sockets on the bumper of the truck they do not activate unless you are towing. Rather odd. So my husband is running wires from the cigarette outlet in the extended cab of the truck so we can hook up the back up camera. 

We are former tenters who have spent 3 month stretches camping and hiking mainly out west. Our current plan, unplanned, is to spend the next 3 months wandering around the West and perhaps Baja. 

Switching to FWC was something we long thought of as it extends our season and options. We primarily camped in remote areas. Will be nice to have heat and outdoor shower which for us should eliminate the occasional desire to hit a hotel and make winter more enjoyable.

We are relatively new to SC having lived outside of D.C. for eons. I did a lot of hiking with the PATC

Wednesday hikers. A great group if you are anywhere near there. Excellent resource for Shenandoah and beyond hikes.

Back here mid Winter. Looking forward to exploring the Smokies, Nantahala etc.

By the way, HUNTINGTON BEACH STATE PARK has a great campground on the beach and the rates usually drop for the Winter months.

Hope to cross paths with some of you and share info. 

Honk if you spot us. Stop in for a refresco if you catch us.

daygreeter

#110 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:36 AM

Daygreeter,

When you get to the Smokies, Nantahala area, check out Judaculla Rock while the marks are still there. Soapstone doesn't stand up to the elements like harder rocks do.

https://en.m.wikiped.../Judaculla_Rock

Welcome to the forum.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users