- - - - -

wind deflectors

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

Wind deflectors on the truck cab are reported to increase mpg and make the ride smoother. I see a few different companies make such deflectors and some folks make their own. I don't want to burden my tool savvy friends to build me one, they do so much for me already. I'd like to see some opinions from the folks on this forum: Which companies manufacture the best wind deflectors for truck campers? Some considerations: safety/stability, minimum hole drilling in truck/camper, and aesthetics. Cost too, I suppose, but I am always willing to pay for quality. Other opinions: Is anyone dead set against using wind deflectors and why?

Thank you.

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

Not sure if they save much gas, I have not done a long trip without the deflector to check. NOISE is the reason I have the deflector. Standard Hawk on a 1st generation Tundra has a large gap above the cab. This creates a lot of wind noise, goes away when I have the deflector on.  I am not an Aeronautical Engineer, maybe one will chime in.

Without the deflector I have noticed the following:

• More noise at a lower speed when over 90 degrees, could travel in winter without it,
  • Opening a window will lower the noise.
  • Putting the heater/ac on recirculate will lower the noise.
  • Neighbor down the street with the same truck as me, but with a window boot says he does not get wind noise.

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

If you search this forum you will find lots of threads on this topic.

Personally, I use the standard Yakima rack fairing on a single bar with locking posts. Safe, stable, no holes, not cheap, but quality. Less road noise and much less buffeting from the wind and passing large trucks. I thought it wouldn't be tall enough, but works very well and I'm happy with it.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Here is a pic of the back of mine, not sure who made it.  I found it on the local craigslist for cheap.  As others have said it is more about wind noise than mpg, I had really bad howling from about 40-60 mph before putting this up there and now it is quiet.

20140728_115915_zpse5fd92a0.jpg

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Subscribed
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

I have noticed about a 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement and it looks better. It is a ⅛" x 4" x 64" flat stock Aluminum with L bracket to mount. Simple and light. the box behind holds my solar panel that I have a tripod for... camper in shade ...panel in sun at good angle. Both work fine.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

I have noticed about a 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement and it looks better. It is a ⅛" x 4" x 64" flat stock Aluminum with L bracket to mount. Simple and light. the box behind holds my solar panel that I have a tripod for... camper in shade ...panel in sun at good angle. Both work fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0846.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

#8 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Where did you buy the storage box behind the wind faring? Is the bottom of the cab over good enough to screw into, is it made of plywood or something? Thanks
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Made the box from Poplar (frame) and luan (¼"). Dado the frame and used Titebond 3 waterproof glue. Bin primed it and then used exterior paint to seal. It is lightweight and has a piano hinge with a barrel key lock. The overhang is ¾" plywood and so  attached the frame to L aluminum with  tiny stainless nut/bolts, then stainless ¾" stainless screws with small washers. A bead of caulking around.

I also put my deflated thermorest inside after I slide in the panel... then open the valve and the thermorest inflates and snuggly hold the panel in, no movement. The airfoil is attached the same way. Very handy space. Easy access. If/when I can get a new truck all can be removed and sealed. I'm happy. Some guys have built a similar open rack for the rotopax tanks, also a good use of the space.

Sorry about the double post above...not sure what happened.

Henry David Thoreau

#10 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

If a person made a wind deflector that was kind of like bills but the mounts were located on the bottom of the overshot would that put too much wind pressure on the overshot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users