New FWC Hawk / GMC 2500 Trip report

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:28 AM

So I picked up my new GMC 2500 on 1/17/15 and got my new FWC Hawk installed on 1/22. Naturally I had to take it around the block for a test drive. Of course living in N. Cal my block is pretty big. 

I drove up i-5 past Shasta and then over to Tule Lake and Lava Beds NM. Spent Friday night there and then drove back via Canby, Falls River Mills, Buney Falls, Highway 44, Moony Road to Westwood, Westwood to Highway 99 and back home. (About 600 miles + or minus)

The truck/camper seem well balanced, but I will probably do a minor upgrade to rear to handle sway. Power with the duramax is obviously no problem. Fuel milage was 17.5 MPG - very happy. 

The FWC heater kept me plenty warm with overnight temps into the high 20s - condensation was not much of an issue, but it was really dry up there.

Fridge (12V/110) seemed to work fine, but was an issue with the temp control switch. It seems to be installed backwards or I am not reading it right - basically there is no way to tell what temp it is set at. Either way not an FWC issue. I prefer the Dometic temp control on the icebox type units that I already had - much more precise than a 1-7 scale. 

Did not have a chance to test water heater beyond turning it on. 

Exterior lighting works great - esp like the exterior down lights. 

Not happy with battery life - but that is my own doing since I only ordered a single group 24 battery from FWC. I have an upgrade in process which should be running by next week. 

All in all I am very happy. 

Only downside was it the lack of ice at Tule Lake - not good weather for Bald Eagle pictures. Temps got into the low 60s during the day - very unseasonable. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:50 AM

Very nice rig! Congrats!

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 25 January 2015 - 05:52 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Congrats.  We went with the 2 batteries and 100-watt solar on the roof with the rear wall plug.  To date we haven't had a problem with battery life, even with the rain we had in the Great Smoky Mountains in October.  It took me awhile to figure out the dial in our 12v/80 fridge.  Hard time reading the numbers.  Used a marker to make it easy to read.  I think duel batteries is a must and solar makes life easy when you don't have shore power.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the update.

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Nice looking rig! Nice photos too.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

Congrats.  We went with the 2 batteries and 100-watt solar on the roof with the rear wall plug.  To date we haven't had a problem with battery life, even with the rain we had in the Great Smoky Mountains in October.  It took me awhile to figure out the dial in our 12v/80 fridge.  Hard time reading the numbers.  Used a marker to make it easy to read.  I think duel batteries is a must and solar makes life easy when you don't have shore power.  jd

The easiest solution might be the marker. The knob does not appear to align with any marks that I can find. I think it works fine, just takes a while to decode. 

I am installing a lithium Ion battery this week. That should solve the battery problems. I will be putting solar on if I need it int he future. I wanted to use the flexible panels which FWC does not offer. 

#7 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

Agree with the marker. I used a thermometer to find the right temp for the fridge and marked that dial position with a Sharpie. Now even in low light and no glasses I can set it correctly.

Alan

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

Agree with the marker. I used a thermometer to find the right temp for the fridge and marked that dial position with a Sharpie. Now even in low light and no glasses I can set it correctly.

Alan

+1 did the same thing with a marker.

#9 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:11 AM

+1 did the same thing with a marker.

You would realy think dometic would use a better controller. The one in thier compressor coolers is much much easier to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users