27 replies to this topic

#11 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

Maybe I missed it but did you have to narrow it the lower box to get it in your truck? I thought the older ones didn't fit? 

#12 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

Vento: I am not sure if your question was directed at me or not, but yes, you do need to narrow the floor pack about 4+ inched to get the older campers (JaSAn's is a 1977, and mine is a 1978) to fit on the newer trucks. I just built a whole new floor pack due to rot issues, and eliminated the over wheel well "step" altogether.

Hope this helps.   

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#13 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

That does, thanks. Was it a pain to mate it back up to the frame and all the siding?

#14 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Not really a problem, just takes some time. When I bought mine, the interior was out of the camper already.  I first trimmed back the aluminum framing on  each side. Then I started with a sheet of 3/4" plywood for the floor, painted it on both sides, and then aligned it under the camper and started building up from there.

I had the bottom 2 pieces of siding removed to jack the camper up as someone else on here had done.  

There are some really good build threads on here. Just look for rebuilding Grandby or new floor pack or similar. I spent a lot of time reviewing the (re) build threads before I bought mine.  The FWC's are actually pretty simple.

Hope this helps.

Found a thread for you. Look for Sheefdog's rebuild of a 87 Fleet. It has some pretty good pictures. Sorry, I can't seem to link it for you.  

Edited by Dusty Roads, 24 February 2015 - 06:43 PM.

2011 Dodge - Cummins

#15 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

Cool, thanks so much.

#16 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

I found an older FWC Keystone I was thinking I could hack apart to make fit. Is the siding expensive to replace from FWC?

#17 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

I reused my old siding on the sides and bought a sheet of plain white aluminum for the back as the siding there was pretty beat up. I think the sheet cost about $40. There is a guy here selling sheet aluminum for $20 on Craigslist so you might try that too.   Just an FYI, I think the Keystone is a 9' camper. The Grandby's are 8'. There are some good build threads on the Keystones.  

2011 Dodge - Cummins

#18 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:14 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  I've been in a foul mood (taxes  :angry: ).

Vento: I cannot answer your question as PO modified the camper to fit his truck.  He had a 2000 Dodge and I have a 2012, so I knew it would fit (although I had to move the wheel well notch back because he rebuilt it for a 6.5' bed and I have an 8').  It is a tight fit, less than a 1/2 inch on each side.

left clearance.jpg right clearance.jpg

I plan on replacing the siding on mine at some point.  Both aluminum and fiberglass RV siding is available online.  Haven't checked on pricing and shipping or local supply yet.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#19 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

No worries,

I found a Grandby that fits in Oregon and one in SD. I am trying to go look at it (Oregon) on Sunday if I can get a response from the owner.

#20 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

Vento: Good luck on getting a Grandby!

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build out, renovate, interior build, grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users