• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:45 PM

We wanted an awning for the rear of the camper, but when checking around for price of awnings dicided to go different than buying a new one for$$$, we got a deal on a used bag awning, it was way to wide for back of camper but price was right, so we shorthend it up, wife sewed new zipper into bag part of awning, bought a track and installed it on back of camper, had a couple of tent poles around, and but it all togeter and had an awning for under $40:thumb:
Update we have run this setup now for a couple of years with no problems and holding up great to wind, if wind gets to bad we run the long bungees straight down and anchor to the ground, also the polles from camper to awning can be adjusted as to give the awning a slobe side to side making, it where you can select to have water run off to one side or other if it rains,

Attached Thumbnails

• 072.JPG
  • 078.JPG
  • 076.JPG
  • Big meadow lake 010.jpg
  • sprague fishing 025.jpg

Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#2 bobg333

bobg333

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

Ben,
This looks like something I might be interested in. But, I don't know what a bag awning is so I can't picture it from your close-ups. Do you have any wide shots of it up in place? Where did you buy it?

Former Grandby owner

#3 bobg333

bobg333

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

I'd still like to know where you bought it.

Former Grandby owner

#4 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

Bob I got the awning used from an add, it was way to long and the edges where torn, so we shorthened it to fit our needs, and just need to sew a new zipper into the bag part.
Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:22 AM

I ran across a place in Eugene OR that sells used RV supplies. They had numerous used awnings for sale. I didn't consider them because they were too long. Little did I think about cutting them down. No matter what size they were though, they would have been hard to carry on airplane. If someone is interested in this place and no one else knows about it, I can get in touch with my brother to get the name of it.
David Bybee 2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel 2004 Tundra DC 1998 Alaskan 10' Cabover

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:31 AM

Yeah I imagine an awning would be tough to get through the security checkpoint :D

#7 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:40 AM

If someone is interested in this place and no one else knows about it, I can get in touch with my brother to get the name of it.

What's the name of the place? We'll be passing through Eugene in about a month - sounds like an interesting place.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:24 PM

Jack,

If you pass through Sacramento on your way to Eugene, there is also place with used RV parts there. They are essentially an RV wrecking yard and also have piles of awnings. Here is the website: http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/

Ted

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

Cut one down? Now why didnt' I think of something that simple. Sewing is beyond me but I can wield scissors.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

Should have mentioned it above - excellent work Ben. Even though I looked at used awnings, it never ocurred to me to cut a longer one down to size. Ended up making one out of marine grade fabric and pvc pipes. Attaches the same as yours but doesn't look nearly as good. Here is a shot from last weekend in Yosemite. We were in full rain mode.

Attached Thumbnails

• rain mode.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users