Low Key Weekend

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

Rain is holding off in southern New Mexico after a series of real showers over the entire area. We decided to do a long weekend trip to visit parts of the Gila National Forest that we hadn't seen for a number of years. Along with us was our rescue heeler who has been an indoor dog all of his nine years. Time to introduce him to the great outdoors...

We went through the little towns of Cuchillo and Winston on the way to Beaverhead. Cuchillo's law enforcement consists of a parked police car with a dummy in it made up to look like a cop. It does slow you down. Pretty good makeup job on the dummy, too. At Beaverhead, we set off toward Snow Lake on a road that showed evidence of being a marsh just a week before. Lots of ruts showed there were intrepid explorers (or people who had to earn a living) driving the road in the rainy season. Not many people on the road now, though.

We finally made it to a campground near Trail 705 and set up camp. No one else in the campground the whole weekend (a good thing).
TruckatCamp.jpg

Next, convince the pup that the outdoors is a good thing.
CamperDawg.jpg

The Gila Wilderness (first wilderness in the nation) was about 150 yards away, just over that hill.
TowardWilderness.jpg

Beautiful flowers all around.
Flowers1.jpg

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:18 AM

CHP used a life sized bill board in King City for years. It always slowed me down.
Great Pix thanks.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

An idyllic Sunday spent enjoying the Gila. Temperatures in the 80's in the day and low 40's during the night. Good time to catch up on reading, relaxing and getting dog used to open space.

Yup, Buster went exploring. There were thrilling finds for him, like this elk skeleton left over from last year.
WhatAFind.jpg

We were amazed that Buster adapted to the open spaces as quickly as he did. Because there were no people around, we finally were able to get him off leash and walking with us. Great strides for him. No pun intended.

While we saw no deer or elk, every night had a coyote chorus for us. This is also a wolf reintroduction area, but no wolves did we see or hear. The coyotes did make Buster a bit nervous, but he hears that at home so no big deal.

All good things must end, so we headed out toward Snow Lake and the little (ex) mining town of Mogollon. The area around Snow Lake was burned in 2006, so no pictures there. Just imagine stark skeletons of trees where once there was a green forest. It is coming back to life, but that is a slow process. Down the road from Snow Lake, the forest returns.
TruckinForest.jpg

While we saw no wildlife before, just outside of Mogollon we saw a bobcat and then a black bear. As these critters were on their way somewhere else and the scene inside the truck was like a fire drill in a fireworks factory, I can boast no pictures. Take my word, we did see them.

#4 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:44 AM

On to Mogollon, a town that was source of silver and other minerals in years past. A couple of the mines may still be operating, pictures to follow. The drive into Mogollon is a beautiful narrow road that winds through the forest. The road stays narrow clear to the junction with the main road. No one coming the other way this time, so the drive was really a chance to slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Driving in to Mogollon, there is this tin plated shack.Most of what you see are wood shacks, but here is the exception.
MogShack.jpg

A little further on, wild turkeys cross the road. Don't ask "why did the turkey cross the road?" as we really don't know. This was close to downtown Mogollon.
MogollonTurkeys.jpg

The actual downtown looked like this.
DowntownMogollon.jpg

Nothing was open. I guess the season is over, if it ever began...

Continuing out of Mogollon proper, we drove past some of the mines. Some we couldn't get pictures of, but there were others we could hesitate on the road and snap a picture of. The road had few places to stop and it was 1 1/2 lanes wide. Mines coming up.
MineatMogollon.jpg

#5 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:38 AM

OK, pictures resized. Now to finish up. Here is mine #2 in Mogollon.
Mine2Mog.jpg
and some drains for a mine above the road:
MineDrains.jpg

Now, if you like panoramic views, this is a good place to go. Here is a part of the view you get driving down the mountain from Mogollon.
Panorama2.jpg

Last, we picnicked at the Aldo Leopold picnic area outside of Glenwood. The area commemorates Aldo Leopold, the father of the wilderness designations in America. Looking back at the Gila Wilderness made us happy there were people of vision in America, people who made sure some of the beauty of America would be preserved.
FirstWilderness2.jpg

A fun trip this was. Great weather, peaceful and beautiful surroundings.

#6 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:39 AM

Looks like a nice trip. Thanks for posting.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

Looks like a good trip for us to try next, thanks.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

Late summer (after school is in and before hunting season) and spring are the best times to go for good weather, few people, and possibly good animal sightings. It is also not far from Tucson.

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

I missed Mogollon when I was out there. Too bad, looks like a neat old town.

#10 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

Nice looking rig, looks like it was a fun trip.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users