16 replies to this topic

#1 breathe deep

breathe deep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Greetings.
What an amazing resource this forum is to discover. I just purchased a beautiful 2000 eagle for my Tacoma and am wondering what AWNING i can attach to it. It has brackets on the side of the camper and i am hoping i can purchase an awning from an rv type store and install it myself.

I did a search on awnings and came up with a bunch on homemade setups and a few other things that are not what i am looking for. If this has been discussed can someone please point me to where i may discover the info.
Thanks!

Dave

#2 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Greetings.
What an amazing resource this forum is to discover. I just purchased a beautiful 2000 eagle for my Tacoma and am wondering what AWNING i can attach to it. It has brackets on the side of the camper and i am hoping i can purchase an awning from an rv type store and install it myself.

I did a search on awnings and came up with a bunch on homemade setups and a few other things that are not what i am looking for. If this has been discussed can someone please point me to where i may discover the info.
Thanks!

Dave

Search Fiamma Awnings
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

IMO the Fiamma's are the best but I imagine they cost a fair bit more than some of the others.

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

My Eagle has the Fiamma F45i

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 breathe deep

breathe deep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we have a consensus here.

High Z do you have the 8.5 ft 'F45i'? It looks like that one extends about six feet out.

They are a bit pricey but look top quality from here

#6 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:18 AM

thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we have a consensus here.

High Z do you have the 8.5 ft 'F45i'? It looks like that one extends about six feet out.

They are a bit pricey but look top quality from here

Yes, the 8.5 foot model. It extends out about 6.5 feet.

Fiammas are high quality, and yes, they are expensive (maybe overpriced).

Mine came with the camper, and the roof latch on that side is next to the front end of the awning. You may have to move your latch.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:58 AM

The spring 2010 issue of Overland Journal has a section on awnings. Worth reading. The Fiamma is reasonably priced.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

I have a Sidewinder from Carefree of Colarado.

I couldn't be happier. Bought it brand new off CL for $150 from an RV guy in CT (it was teal... if I wanted a different color, it was $250 since he would have to order it; I have teal :-) )

Its completely manual (no crank, so you roll it out and pop out the legs/stays), a nice aluminum box awning, low profile and about half the weight of the Fiamma. Everything folds up inside the main cross bar: the stays back to the camper and the carport legs (???). I had it deployed in some strong winds down on the outer banks and it seemed rock solid (I staked it). I would have left it up all night, but that seemed like asking for trouble.

I'd check them out.

I posted a review when I put it on (or something akin to a review) just search my posts... there are very few. I searched hi and lo for a fiamma... they just seemed too expensive to me at the time.

Rob
Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#9 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

I am partial to my Shady Boy awning. Designed for VW vanagon campers. I got it from the company owner near Vancouver, BC. Nice guy. about 6x10 feet, can be used with poles, easy to setup and tie down. Nice aluminum case that sits on the side of the camper. Weight was something like 7 or 8 pounds. If I remember right, about 130 bucks or so. Not quite as convenient as the roll out ones, but I like the utility and light weight.

Good luck on your awning choice!

Dave in Seattle

#10 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

I am partial to my Shady Boy awning. Designed for VW vanagon campers. I got it from the company owner near Vancouver, BC. Nice guy. about 6x10 feet, can be used with poles, easy to setup and tie down. Nice aluminum case that sits on the side of the camper. Weight was something like 7 or 8 pounds. If I remember right, about 130 bucks or so. Not quite as convenient as the roll out ones, but I like the utility and light weight.

Good luck on your awning choice!

Dave in Seattle

Can the ShadyBoy be mounted over the door in the rear?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users