• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

Setup a simple awning on my camper. Had a similar setup on my previous rig and used it every day for a year. Cheap, durable and dependable.

phptgmtCBPM.jpg

The key is using a heavy duty tarp and loops of bungy at the 4 attachment points, this lets it give some in the wind without over stressing the tarp or lines.

phpFs71JMPM.jpg

phpwUEnFWPM.jpg

Here is a link to higher quality images for better detail:

http://cmd.shutterfl...ictures&album=8

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

Looks smart!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

give us some detail on the two attachment points.

eye bolts? used existing hole?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#4 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:17 AM

give us some detail on the two attachment points.

eye bolts? used existing hole?

I actually use 4 stainless steel eye bolts on the camper and attach the bungy to the four eyelets on the tarp. That way the stress is spread out over a larger area and not just the corners. Got the eyebolts from Home depot, they are threaded for wood and I drill a hole the size of the screw shank and then carefully self tap them into the hole. Use some silicone caulk to seal them. Did it this way on my old camper and they were solid for over 10 years, I'm actually reusing the same eye bolts on my 4 Wheel. I got the adjustable poles from REI and put them through the corner tarp eyelets and then loop a line over the top of the pole. I usually use 2 lines per pole to keep the tarp tensioned.

phpc3vAdSPM.jpg

Sorry, can't get this to rotate.

Billm

#5 GSBFree

GSBFree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

Very timely...this is exactly the concept I've been considering except I've been thinking off using bungies on my rack crossbar.
'15 Tundra Double Cab
'08 Hawk

#6 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

Looks good!! Did you all ready have the poles or can you buy them somewhere?
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#7 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

Looks good!! Did you all ready have the poles or can you buy them somewhere?

I already had the poles from my old camper but I bought them years ago from REI, I would think they still have them. The slide adjustable poles are great because you can adjust the tension of the tarp by raising or lowering them.

Just checked REI, they still have them in 7 & 8 ft lengths: http://www.rei.com/product/358078

Campmor has them too.

Billm

#8 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:43 AM

I actually use 4 stainless steel eye bolts on the camper and attach the bungy to the four eyelets on the tarp. That way the stress is spread out over a larger area and not just the corners. Got the eyebolts from Home depot, they are threaded for wood and I drill a hole the size of the screw shank and then carefully self tap them into the hole. Use some silicone caulk to seal them. Did it this way on my old camper and they were solid for over 10 years, I'm actually reusing the same eye bolts on my 4 Wheel. I got the adjustable poles from REI and put them through the corner tarp eyelets and then loop a line over the top of the pole. I usually use 2 lines per pole to keep the tarp tensioned.

phpc3vAdSPM.jpg

Sorry, can't get this to rotate.

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but do the eye bolts go through the fabric on the inside of the roof trim? I don't know where the popup material actually attaches. Would there be any reason to fear puncturing the material that high up?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#9 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but do the eye bolts go through the fabric on the inside of the roof trim? I don't know where the popup material actually attaches. Would there be any reason to fear puncturing the material that high up?

There is an aluminum drip rail trim piece screwed around the edge of the camper top. I attached the eyes at the same level as the screws. If the screws go through the fabric so do the eyes. I figured if they put the screws through there it would be OK as long as I used sealant on the eyes.

Billm

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

My thoughts exactly GSB! I've got the Yakima bars up there, so why not run a rod between them?
I've got some spare Yakima round clamps and it seems it would be simple enough to make some sort of attachment.
Really the only reason for the bar is to provide some intermediate tie points, so it could be a cable.
Just thinkin' out loud here . . .

I bookmarked the Eureka adjustable poles, those are perfect if a bit pricey at $24 each.
The only other item to source is a tarp that's the right size.

Andy

Very timely...this is exactly the concept I've been considering except I've been thinking off using bungies on my rack crossbar.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users