58 replies to this topic

#1 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

Though I have dragged the co pilot to Baja on more than one occasion, she had never made the full trip to the bottom of the peninsula. After having to listen to the boys talk story for years about places she'd never been we thought it was time fix that. We headed down to San Diego and flopped for the night. The next day we crossed the border at 0645, got our visas and were on our way by 0715. After fueling up and a mandatory fish taco lunch in El Rosario I was getting dangerously tired behind the wheel so we stopped for a little cat nap in the desert: Posted Image Before we hit the road again I stumbled upon this cool snakeskin Posted Image We didn't really have a destination planned for the night, we were just going to drive until we were done, wherever that was. We hit Villa Jesus Maria and decided call it a day so we went to check out Laguna Manuela for the night, it was someplace new for me. Posted Image We drove down the beach towards the lagoon and found a secluded place to pop up. Posted Image Being pretty tired after a 12 hour day the co-pilot whipped up a little snack and we called it dinner for the night. Fresh queso fresco and chipotle queso quesadilla from the Doña Lala's in San Vicente. Always a great stop when headed southbound to stock up on fresh cheese, honey, olives, tortillas and dried fruits. Props to old forum member doble traccion for the tip on this place years ago. Posted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

The next morning we drove out to see the light house at Punta Santo Domingo

Posted Image

We found this nice secluded beach situated right below it

Posted Image

Next stop, San Ignacio. This little oasis is a jewel in the middle of the desert and was the start of new territory for the co-pilot and she was impressed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was nice that we were there on a Sunday as there was a lot of activity with many of the locals hanging out and trying to beat the heat in the shade of the town square. We had a nice lunch and toured the mission which was erected in 1696. There is a lot of history here as the original mission was actually founded around 1610 by the Jesuits but was under constant attack by the Portuguese. This is definitely one of my favorite places in Baja and i never spend enough time here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunman

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

Ultimately our destination for the day was San Juanico, aka Scorpion Bay. We headed out the notoriously awful road to Laguna San Ignacio, though it has been paved a good way out there it is still the same ole bone jarring washboard it always has been. Cruising through a levy out in the salt flats...

Posted Image

You do not want to veer of the road anywhere out here or you will be in deep trouble, this place is notorioius for gobbling up the vehicles of drivers who stray off the path!

Posted Image

I hadn't been through here in years and after some bad navigation on my part (it's not just you Maglellan!) I missed locating the easier, less bone jarring way through the flats we ended up taking the dreaded north road in. As bummed as we were this guy was having a worse day than us...

Posted Image

Sunman

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

After a long, hot day and over 130 miles of some of the worst dirt roads Baja has to offer we arrived at the pot of gold. Here we are rinsing off the road grime in our own indivdual ways...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After a good long surf I was ready to break in the new Cook Partner, what better way than some messy tacos al pastor! Thanks again DD, I am loving this bugger! It really got a solid work out on this trip.

Posted Image

With the swell forcast to be on the rise for the next few days things were looking pretty good. The end of another beautiful day...

Posted Image

Sunman

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

We spent 3 nights and 4 days in San Juanico.

Why we go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Scorpion Bay ain't just another pretty name...There's a reason they call it that:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunman

#6 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

WOW!!! What a great trip. I would really like to go there someday!!! Preferabley with a small group who knows where they are going!!!

You didn't have any trouble getting your dog across?
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

Fresh mango from San Jose de Gracia, breakfast of champions!

Posted Image

Spotted this sweet rig on the beach while leaving town...

Posted Image

Took a newer south road out of SJ which leads out by Punta San Gregorio and Las Barrancas. Had always wanted to check these places out so this was a plus.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunman

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Next stop, "Rabbit Point". This was about a six hour journey south, a pretty easy day.

Posted Image

Mama working on her road pop:

Posted Image

The Campo for a couple of nights

Posted Image

Unfortunately the winds were not cooperating, this place perpetually haunts me...grrrrr Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunman

#9 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

Since the surf wasn't really cooperating and I was fairly surfed out we generally rested, took long beach walks and ate well:

Breakfast
Posted Image

Appetizers
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Main Course
Posted Image

Side Dish
Posted Image

Mmmmm..
Posted Image

The end of another crappy day:

Posted Image

Sunman

#10 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

The Tequila rations were running low so the next stop was La Paz to resupply and then off to the East Cape.

Since I have been there last they have installed small palapas all the way up the coast from San Jose del Cabo beyond Cabo Pulmo. Makes it nice for camping or day trips up the coast. We found a nice spot at a well known surf spot and posted up for a couple of days.

Posted Image

We got there late in the afternoon and I went for a surf and stayed out until around 9 pm surfing under a beautiful full moon. Water was 78-80 degrees.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users