98 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

So I'm going to be designing a custom camper for a flatbed. As mentioned over in my FWC for sale thread, I feel that a camper built for a flatbed solves a lot of problems with the traditional slide-in truck camper. My main goal is to maximize and optimize storage space, so that I can carry gear, wood, bikes, and whatever else I need for a week or two on the road without piling everything up right in the middle of the camper.

I have a lot of ideas but just drawing them on paper left me with a lot of doubts as to whether it would all work. So I decided to build a mockup and play around with some layouts. Advantage #1 to a flatbed camper - lots of floor space! Just over 50 square feet for a shortbed truck:

Posted Image

#2 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:01 AM

This is going to be good!
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:10 AM

Good times. Yeah I'm starting in CAD to iron out some ideas but will likely mock some stuff up with cardboard to verify a few spacial things.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

This is going to be good!

We're watching too! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

In plywood!!! Y'gotta love this guy.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

I like what you have done so far. It looks very open and has good visibility for looking outside. :D

Not sure how easy it would be to get custom rotomold work done, but this idea from Livin Lite shows potential:

The dinette bases in the QUICKSILVER are constructed of roto-cast ABS which is both lightweight and waterproof - allowing the bases to be easily removed from the unit - or to serve as coolers! The seat cushions are constructed out of marine-grade vinyl, making them both durable and weather-proof.

Otherwise, would it be possible to make lightweight cabinets like those in the XP camper and put them in yours?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

DD,

I had thought about something similar. Also taking a plasma cutter to the back of a cab and opening it up. Then using a gasket such as they use when attaching a van body to a box truck bed for fleet vehicles. Thus having a walk through pop up camper. My thought were to do this to a Suburban with a pop up and keeping the rear seat because they fold down to floor level.
At that point I did not know four wheel pop ups existed, much less a Blazer model. I found my Blazer while looking for campers. It is pretty cramped, but I am am 52 and my body has less energy than my mind, so it is a good thing I found the Blazer because I would probably be overwhelmed with such a project.
I like your Idea and wish you the best of luck. What chassis do you plan on using?

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

I'm daunted at the prospect of installing my new refer and building a cabinet for the microwave and simple projects like that. I can't imagine building a camper from scratch. Wow. Sure hope it all comes together.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'm daunted at the prospect of installing my new refer and building a cabinet for the microwave and simple projects like that. I can't imagine building a camper from scratch. Wow. Sure hope it all comes together.

Never said I was building it :D

Another advantage of the flatbed platform is that the door doesn't need to go in the back of the camper. Putting the door on the side has many advantages: the door can be under the awning, the back of the camper is open to store all the gear you want (like hanging bikes off the back), and the door can be wider.

I thought about using a wider door but in my drawings I was losing a fair amount of cabinet space with the 34 inch door I had planned to use. I looked again at the FWC and concluded that the 28 inch FWC door feels a lot smaller than it is because the bench seat protrudes so far into the entrance. I think that if the door were unobstructed it would be plenty big at 28 inches.

Posted Image

#10 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

If your wood working skills are as good as your fire making skills, we should be in for a treat. :P

marc

PS looking forward to seeing what U come up with.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users