31 replies to this topic

#1 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:19 AM

Greetings

Thanks to all the help on that extensive thread about roof lift struts, I got some and got them installed tonight. I opted for the side install for my 2009 Hawk. Nothing was in the way. I got the brackets from Maxum hardware that someone suggested. I got the Columbia struts off Ebay from the Strut your Stuff storefront. Got them for a little less than originally posted by making offers to the seller.

My boy and I did it in an hour or so. We were in no hurry. Used self tapping screws after pre-drilling with a small bit.

Attached Thumbnails

• _D9M3703 ian2.jpg
  • _D9M3704 bottom.jpg
  • _D9M3705 top.jpg
  • _D9M3706 fr strut.jpg

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#2 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

Greetings

Thanks to all the help on that extensive thread about roof lift struts, I got some and got them installed tonight. I opted for the side install for my 2009 Hawk. Nothing was in the way. I got the brackets from Maxum hardware that someone suggested. I got the Columbia struts off Ebay from the Strut your Stuff storefront. Got them for a little less than originally posted by making offers to the seller.

My boy and I did it in an hour or so. We were in no hurry. Used self tapping screws after pre-drilling with a small bit.

I do have to seal the screws. I did not prepare for that since I was not sure if I would get it right the first time. The roof definitely lifts easier and does not crash down on you when let it down now. Looking forward to my redwoods trip in a couple weeks.

Attached Thumbnails

• _D9M3707 rear frig.jpg
  • _D9M3708 drivers.jpg
  • _D9M3710 Ian.jpg
  • _D9M3716 keith.jpg
  • _D9M3717 top down.jpg

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:24 AM

Looks like a good father & son team. Great skills to teach the next gen. :)
I kind of like the way the side mount action seems more aligned with the lift.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

Looks good!
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Great photos of your project, thanks for posting. This mod is in the back of our minds. The side mount wouldn't work with our storm flaps.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 DonM

DonM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationChilliwack,BC

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

Looks great, thanks for the great pix, I notice you did this on the rear of the camper, how does the front lift? I was wanting to do the same thing but had thought of putting the top mount in line with the board in the inside for lifting the front. After doing this what are your thoughts/suggestions?
ps I also looked on ebay, mind telling how much of a 'deal' you got?
09 Eagle smooth roof, dinette 09 Mazda B4000SE 4x4

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'm in the process of installing a new rear door in my Grandby and in taking out the old door I had to disconnect my lifter thingies. A bit later I decided to lift the roof, forgetting my lifters were off. At first I thought there was something wrong and then it occurred to me I was back in manual mode. I have about 50# of solar up there and now can't imagine not having the thingies.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#8 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Looks great, thanks for the great pix, I notice you did this on the rear of the camper, how does the front lift? I was wanting to do the same thing but had thought of putting the top mount in line with the board in the inside for lifting the front. After doing this what are your thoughts/suggestions?
ps I also looked on ebay, mind telling how much of a 'deal' you got?

Both the front and rear lift much easier and they both come down slowly and softly. I do have a the FWC larger solar panel on the front of my Hawk as well. To lift the back I sit on the couch and just push up. Used to have to put a shoulder under it and struggle. Hated putting it down. I laugh now. I do not know if putting the front strut closer to the lifting board would be better. I thought about it but stayed with putting them in the corner as I did.

The front lift is more of a push as well versus a shoulder struggle. I feel I will be more likely to put the top up at any ole time now. Before once a day was enough.

The Strut your Stuff guy lets you make an offer. I started at $31.00 for the pair to help offset shipping. He took $35. Paid $86.00 for the two pairs including shipping. $23.32 for the 8 brackets from Maxum Hardware including shipping.

#9 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Great photos of your project, thanks for posting. This mod is in the back of our minds. The side mount wouldn't work with our storm flaps.

You are correct. The one fellow who had posted mentioned he did not consider the flaps when he side mounted. My newer model did not have anything in the way.

Also I never intend to have a awning. Never used the one I had on my previous RV.

Either way works and now that I have them, I believe they should be standard issue for FWCs.

Thanks to the folks who came up with the idea.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for your helpful comments!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users