25 replies to this topic

#1 buffcrkrunner

buffcrkrunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:19 AM

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I just purchased a FWC Fleet Shell last week and am looking to install a Victron SmartSolar 100v/20a charge controller. My Shell has the flush mount stove and furnace and two 12vdc batteries. I was thinking of installing the controller in the battery box next to the batteries on the rear wall since it is 1/2 inch plywood with the gray finish on it. The controller will just fit between the battery and the rear wall. 

The spec sheet for the controller calls for it to be mounted on a "non-flammable substrate". That has me a little concerned about mounting on the inside of the battery box. The advantage to mounting there is that the wires coming from the outside connectors for solar panels end inside the battery box. Also the spec sheet mentions that the ambient temperature of the controller should be within 5 degrees C of the batteries.

I am planning to use a 200 watt panel so I guess I could use a 75v/15a controller. I was not planning to use the load control part of the solar controller.

Do any of you have experience with Victron solar charge controller and have any recommendations on installing one? Any pictures you could share?

Thanks.

#2 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:34 AM

I have two 120W commodity flex panels on the roof run in parallel. My two batteries are run in parallel. I would suggest the 100/20. It’s nice to be able to add, & have options, if need be. Yes, as Vic says below, more is better. My Grandby Shell cabinet was tight but doable.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4F80435E-14A6-4F16-A59F-A0CBF05E5ABD.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 05 February 2020 - 09:59 PM.

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:50 AM

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I just purchased a FWC Fleet Shell last week and am looking to install a Victron SmartSolar 100v/20a charge controller. My Shell has the flush mount stove and furnace and two 12vdc batteries. I was thinking of installing the controller in the battery box next to the batteries on the rear wall since it is 1/2 inch plywood with the gray finish on it. The controller will just fit between the battery and the rear wall. 

The spec sheet for the controller calls for it to be mounted on a "non-flammable substrate". That has me a little concerned about mounting on the inside of the battery box. The advantage to mounting there is that the wires coming from the outside connectors for solar panels end inside the battery box. Also the spec sheet mentions that the ambient temperature of the controller should be within 5 degrees C of the batteries.

I am planning to use a 200 watt panel so I guess I could use a 75v/15a controller. I was not planning to use the load control part of the solar controller.

Do any of you have experience with Victron solar charge controller and have any recommendations on installing one? Any pictures you could share?

Thanks.

Do you have room to put about 1/2" of washers or some kind of metal tubing around the mounting screws?  That's what I did.  But honestly the unit does not usually run warm, never mind hot.

Go bigger rather than smaller, if you have the space and $$$.  75/15 is borderline with the 200w panel.  200w * .85% efficiency / 12V = 14.2A.  

Check out my More Power Scotty thread... http://www.wanderthe...e-power-scotty/

#4 buffcrkrunner

buffcrkrunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Stokeme and Vic. Very useful information and eases my mind. I'll go with the 100/20 and see if I can put some spacers on the mounting screws. 

#5 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

I have the 100/30 and it never feels warm. Mine is mounted to a cabinet side panel with bolts and I spaced it away from the panel with a stack of washers. 

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#6 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:04 PM

I just upgraded my 2016 Fleet from a PWM controller to the Victron 100/20. I have two 75ah batteries and two 100W flexible panels and I may add a 100W portable to the mix, which the 100/20 will handle.

You might also consider adding a Victron battery monitor while you are installing the controller. As many on this forum have done, I installed the Victron BM-712. Wish I had done this 4 years ago!

I don't know what electrical appliances you currently have or are planning to add (e.g., additional lights, 2-way fridge, furnace, inverter, etc.) and how you plan to use your camper (i.e., mainly weekends vs. extended trips) and in what conditions (i.e., mainly summer vs. shoulder seasons or mainly sunny vs. shady, rainy, cloudy, snowy conditions). The ROI on the monitor be higher if you camp for extended periods and/or in more variable conditions. Having a good monitor will reduce the guess work and allow you to learn how to manage your batteries and electrical use, and also trouble shoot problems. It's a pretty easy install (once you figure it out) and as per above, you'll find lots of help on this forum.  Enjoy your camper!

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:43 AM

I have the Victron 100/20 in my Hawk. Using the output is nice to see what you are using.   Victron also has a great Bluetooth app for your phone to monitor what is going on. 

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:12 AM

I have the Victron 100/20 in my Hawk. Using the output is nice to see what you are using.   Victron also has a great Bluetooth app for your phone to monitor what is going on. 

Bill, you have the Victron BMV too, right?  

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:44 AM

Bill, you have the Victron BMV too, right?  

No I am just using the App. I do have a voltage meter that I put in when I did my build. 

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:43 AM

No I am just using the App. I do have a voltage meter that I put in when I did my build. 

OK.  So, there is an App for both the MPPT controller and the BMV.  Just clarifying ... because it is the BMV that tells you your battery SOC, not the MPPT.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, Victron, Fleet Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users