• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:21 AM

Interesting Jim, that he says to come to a stop. Seems like that used to be the suggested/preferred method. Now they say on the fly ,anything under 50 mph or so. Personally I won't go over about 5 mph , worrying about all those expensive gears.

Come to think of it, I believe my 2015 Silverado manual says to be moving to make a 4 hi shift.

I am with you on the fluids, and filters. Inspite of dial soap and dryer sheets, mice or squirrels have found my cabin air filter, packing it with seeds and grass

I agree—there's no reason to come to a stop to shift into four high, especially if you're pointed straight ahead.

#32 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:02 AM

Allan,

He said a full Stop on concrete and asphalt...NOT dirt.

Thanks Fish

And I have an OOPs as follows"

Because the truck and camper (5,200 pounds empty)  are heavy we change out the transmission and transfer case fluids every 15,000 miles. Remember this is a Tacoma Not a fill size regular truck. We do all the fluids every 30,000 miles.

7 years ago folks I met were surprised any company made a camper for a Tacoma. In the years that we towed the Samurai they were very surprised when we pulled into gas stations with the camper  and towing the Samurai that the truck had enough power to do all that. And that we averaged 14.5 mpg towing it.

The Tacoma with the 4 liter V6, 4WD, trailer towing package is a great combination with  good mileage...Great truck.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 17 May 2020 - 01:10 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#33 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

If the wheels are pointed straight ahead there is no reason you cannot shift into four high on pavement. Everything is turning at the same speed. Only if you then start going around corners are the transfer gears going to bind. Engaging four high on pavement and driving straight ahead for a few hundred yards is probably all you need to do to lube the ring gear and upper knuckle bearings.

Jonathan

#34 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

Ok  My mechanic has always been conservative in his recommendations.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users