14 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:13 AM

Here's a story that matters. It's a story about a trout.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 July 2021 - 03:11 AM

Great fish, excellent story that needs to be told and supported.

I am haunted by waters

#3 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:13 PM

Heenan Lake fish hatchery on Monitor Pass has produced over 150,000 Lahontan cuttroat trout and are planted  in both California and Nevada.( Lets hope the fire doesn't affect the hatchery) And of course Pyramid Lake is the home of the monsters!  At one time the Lahontan trout was the strain in Lake Tahoe primarily, only to be over fished in the early days.

#4 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the post! So glad there are organizations and people out there that are pushing these alternatives to extinction!!! Good for all of them!!!! Good for the species!

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:29 PM

If you want to fish and catch some nice size  Lahontan trout Heenan lake is an easy place to go.

Not sure what this year will be like there with low rain fall and the fire just passing through.

I have fished there in very low water years and not much fun with all the thread algae on the lake.

But that's where the food lives for the fish.

I have fished there since the early 80s when it opened up for fishing.

It's a very restrictive lake catch/release only. No bait, flies or lures only.

A small boat (kayak/canoe) allowed.Electric motors only and only open

weekends, Labor day weekend through last weekend in October.

A fun place to sit in a float tube and watch nature around you while you

cast for the "big one".

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:35 PM

The headwaters of the Upper Truckee River in Alpine County's Meiss Meadow is also a restored home waters for the Lahontan. It is open to catch and release single barbless hook fishing. Check the regulations. It is a beautiful meandering high mountain meadow stream. Fill out the angler report at the end of your day.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:12 PM

Also the East fork of the Carson has them.

Down stream from the Deadmans bridge on hwy 89

just before Markleyville has them but catch/release.

Great fish to have on a 4w fly rod.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:41 PM

Bull Lake in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness has a self sustaining population of Lahontans. I've spent a couple of mornings at the inlet stream. I never met the resident bear. 

Those in charge have been trying to restore Lahontans to Mill Creek  (flows through the town of Walker) but I cannot say I have ever seen a single fish anywhere along that stream. One year Fish and Game planted Lahontans in the W Walker - I don't know if they continued the practice. The Lahontans are going to be outcompeted by the planted Rainbows all the time, the locals went into an absolute tizzy and, as is the typical political practice in these parts, spread a rumor that F&G intended to poison the W Walker' plant Lahontans, and outlaw fishing. The public meeting was quite well attended. Law enforcement nearly outnumbered interested citizens. It is not known if those who sent the death threats were present but no matter what was said by F&G it was revoltingly clear that the locals were more attached to being pissed off than listening. 

By Day Creek near Bridgeport is reported to have a "pure" genetic strain which was common to the Walker Basin. 

And then we have a local "fishing guide" whose brochure talks about "targeting" LCT and PCT. There are not many places one can fish for Lahontans (LCT) and it is not legal to fish for Paiutes (PCT) anywhere. All it takes to be a licensed guide is some paperwork and a fee to the state. I've tried to talk to the guy but it seems he does not care. 

#9 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:47 PM

Also the East fork of the Carson has them.

Down stream from the Deadmans bridge on hwy 89

just before Markleyville has them but catch/release.

Great fish to have on a 4w fly rod.

Frank

Yup. Those 16 - 18 inchers in Bull Lake were caught on a 4 weight. And one was caught by a large Labrador Retriever. He dropped it at my feet and I returned it to the water along with the rest of them - not a mark on it. 

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:04 PM

I am saddened each time we stop in Walker and see the brochures asking for donations for more trout stocking. Why do they want to pollute good waters with factory fish? To help understand my view, here is a good read -

An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World

We can do better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users