Photo
- - - - -

eastern oregon/western idaho in early spring?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:14 AM

Roger that on flooding during a rapid melt..

Hey, next season if you keep me in the loop, I would be game skiing off summit to the East....can you get all the way to be picked up at the Alvord Road?  Skinning back up is beyond my age class!

Page Springs CG when open is great Frenchglen Hotel has some outstanding communal meals...need reservations.

Edited by Wallowa, 18 March 2023 - 12:16 AM.

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 March 2023 - 01:52 AM

Phil, after five surgeries on the right knee, I’ve given it up.  I’ve not heard of anyone skiing to the Alvord road, but I’m sure someone has.  I do know that Ned Gillette made a winter east to west traverse, probably in the 80s.  That trip was documented in Paul Parker’s Free Heel Skiing.  As an aside, Gillette solo paddled a 20’ Necky Nootka double kayak from Monterey, California to Maui.  He was eating toothpaste at the end.  There is a Tonight Show appearance on YouTube.

The area that we skied was a simple snowfield that dumped you on the rocks if you went too far.  Herringbone or kick steps was all that was needed.  Total skiable distance was about 200 yards.  The west side had wonderful tele cruising.  I’m pretty sure that was an early August ski.

John and Twila set a fine table at the Hotel, and I’m told David Thompson at the Hotel Diamond does as well.

I am haunted by waters

#13 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 March 2023 - 03:50 AM

I took a camping trip this summer in my '62 Corvette and was going to stop at Diamond, but opted for French Glen for a dinner....spent 10 days in Southern Oregon and Northern Nevada....got strange looks when pitching my tent next to '62....but then again, I am strange..

I know of Parkers work and like Ned, but never at that level, I paddled my 17 kayak from Juneau to Peterburg in '90 including Tracy Arm...solo like Ned but inside passage and not open ocean....his are definitely bigger than mine!

Now charged to give Steens a try next winter!  Well as much as I can handle and reach...thanks for tips.  Will stop at Diamond if they are open then.....

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 18 March 2023 - 03:51 AM.

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 04:19 AM

The Frenchglen Hotel closes after hunting season, then reopens in the spring for all the birders.  I have no info on Hotel Diamond.  Mark and Debbie may keep Steens Mountain Resort open, and Page Springs is open.  The North Gate is closed to the general public, but inholders do have access.  You can probably get in a few miles on the south end, but not sure how far.  I suspect the firs gate will be closed.  After that, it’s a long slog uphill

I am haunted by waters

#15 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:56 PM

I'm headed out that area next week for some fly fishing if the weather holds.  I can try to report on roads, etc.

I've camped at Page Springs and it's nice but as others have stated, it's been a very wet winter in Boise and around here so I suspect the same over there near where you want to go.  In fact, the trip next week is with a guy who does Grouse counts and he said the backcountry roads aren't very good right now but he does go in places most of us don't go.  In fact, I met him on a backcountry road and he had just spent 5 hrs digging out from being stuck.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#16 road trip by nature

road trip by nature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 09:21 PM

Big thanks to everyone who replied. I'm searching up some of these place names that I haven't heard of before. Sounds like a drive in to Leslie Gulch is still doable and we could explore from there on foot. Heck maybe with the weather not so nice we'll have less competition for camping spots. Plus hotsprings would be great no matter the weather. Looking at Crane Hotsprings as I think the kids would like the big pool. Will have to return for a fall trip to properly see the steens, photos look amazing.

I've got the numbers for various BLM offices so will check for updated conditions en route. 

#17 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 18 March 2023 - 09:46 PM

the john day fossill beds, and painted hills might be of interest. the kids, and you, might like the palentology center at the fossil beds - its very interesting, and they often have staff working on bringing out fossils from their stone enclosures, with things like dental instruments.  also good for day hikes.

Oregon

#18 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 March 2023 - 02:05 PM

Don’t want to scare you off from Page Springs CG (it is indeed, very nice) but if it’s going to be wetter than usual bring plenty of DEET or your favorite mosquito repellant flavor. We were there mid-July during a normal year and those blood suckers were ravenous. I’ve never seen such large swarms trying to eat their way through screen doors. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:31 PM

Don’t want to scare you off from Page Springs CG (it is indeed, very nice) but if it’s going to be wetter than usual bring plenty of DEET or your favorite mosquito repellant flavor. We were there mid-July during a normal year and those blood suckers were ravenous. I’ve never seen such large swarms trying to eat their way through screen doors. 

Another endorsement for lots of bug dope.  Usually by the end of July, mosquito numbers are such that you only have to slather up mornings and evenings, but be prepared.   

I am haunted by waters

#20 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:50 PM

Page Springs is a great CG...just as you enter to the left side next to creek those front sites have a rock wall next to them just across the stream...look for nesting Great Horned Owls on that wall....early morning and evening listen for their 4 part 'hoots'...beautiful place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users