23 replies to this topic

#1 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm this contrary kind of older guy who has traveled quite a bit over the years. My truck is over twenty years old and my camper is over fifty. Mostly we travel in the winter and head south for comfort. But this winter my lady and I are in Boulder Colorado for a change.
West Sonoma County, Ca. is near the coast and has such agreeable climate in the summer that it is nice to stay home. My lady is taking care of a new grandbaby for a year and I'm wandering that way by myself planning to take my time and follow the spirit and draw a picture every day. Just down the road I get on highway 12 and follow it east to the foothills of the Sierra. I generally tend to avoid crowds and prefer back roads.page1.jpg page2.jpg

#2 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

page3.jpg
My personal relationship with time, it seems to me, has always been kind of contrary to the culture. I've always found it best to go slow when following the spirit as I've found that spirit doesn't usually respond quickly. It's interesting that when I'm drawing time doesn't even exist.
page4.jpg
Traveling alone is interesting. Time is even more expanded. In the morning I hiked a little ways above the highway at Sonora Pass and sat in my little folding chair and sketched this.

#3 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

page5.jpg
I've raised a few burros over the years and had a black one for over thirty. His name is Blackjack and we would take him blackpacking.
page6.jpg
I read a lot. We always travel with a drawer full of books. We both raised our kids without ever having a TV. I studied commercial art in college but decided to not be an artist. For me, doing it for a living spoils the pleasure of it, what with deadlines and all. Do you realize that commercials are designed to create dissatisfaction in your mind?

#4 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

page7.jpg
The cop said I was going 55, what a joke. This old sheepherders wagon looks a lot like my camper.page8.jpg
I have these black tanks of water that I made on the cab of my truck for solar showers that work great in Mexico but here at about 10,000 ft. the cold air defeats the sun. I also have a solar panel up there that gives me lights at night for reading or finishing my drawings.

#5 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

page9.jpg
I wonder about the relationship between wandering and wondering. I'm kind of a closet philosopher and have thought and written a bit about the value of wonder and imagination. It seems to me that it's those who think they have all of the answers that are doing all the damage.
page10.jpg
It's getting a little crowded along here but an old guy in the forest service office knew what I was looking for.

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Go, milt, go!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

page11.jpg
I have one of those federal senior passes to get in free but early in the morning nobody checked. While I was drawing this several foreign tourists took my picture. Some guy back in Nevada told me about that place to camp. One cool thing about travel is that often people have time to just hang and share information.
page12.jpg
These federal and state campgrounds sure have a lot of rules. I also have a storage place above my truck cab for firewood which comes in handy.

#8 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

milt ,
i truly am in awe as to you story telling through your drawings.
please keep it up ,and enjoy your journeys.

drive slow and enjoy "its the Journey"
Les,lqhikers

#9 milt

milt

The Artist

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationsebastopol, ca

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

page13.jpg
I sat here painting and dipped my brush in the puddle to wet it. I use watercolor pencils and a wet brush which I find to be easy tools for travel drawing.page14.jpg
There are lots of these sites outside of the park area that you can explore but the dirt roads were muddy and I would have had to have 4 wheel drive if not for my bike.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Great story Milt.I am following your trip and enjoying the drawings.
Thanks Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users