28 replies to this topic

#1 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:26 AM

Hello all,

I have pretty much decided to get a FWC Keystone shell model and build it up myself.

There are a few things, however that I would like FWC to do for me:

1. Toilet install.
2. Propane tank install.
3. Furnace
4. Hot Water/Shower (I guess that means a water tank and plumbing).

I realize that most of these things are not options normally available on a shell model. Is FWC flexible on this stuff at all?

Thanks.

#2 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:36 AM

Your going to need to call Stan at 800-242-1442 to see what they are able to do for you.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

I strongly suggest you also give Ben at All Terain Campers a call @ 800 446 1003.
He's very open to creating the camper you want and has great ideas. To be sure, if you get a FWC or ATC you will be happy but dont limit your manufacturer options.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

While I really appreciate the plug from Jay for our campers, we don't make a Keystone equivalent. The only thing that we make is a Cougar shell that is only 8' in length and it looks like you want a bigger camper. Even if we did, we do not offer the toilet that FWC does, all we have is a porta pottie. We don't offer the built in shower that FWC does. We recommend portable showers from Zodi or Cabelas.

Again, Stan will be able to help you out on what they can and cannot do to a shell model that you are looking for. So give him a call Monday at 800-242-1442 and I am sure he will be able to help you out with what you need.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#5 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

Welcome to the forum Roberto, I sure FWC will build whatever you ask. Many members have done custom work on their campers. You should have no trouble getting helpful ideas and suggestions. Having the propane and the water systems installed at the factory is a good idea. You will be installing these systems anyway so why not get the factory tanks done for a cleaner look. Good luck.

Cheers,

Mike

#6 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

Ben, thank you for your honest and helpful reply. You are right - I need a bigger camper. There are four of us (kids are 19 and 21) and we have Toby, our chocolate lab to consider as well. That's why I want to build up the interior myself. I can do without some of the amenities, but sleeping space and self-containment are top priorities.

I have been "lurking" here a while, and have noted your willingness to help those who are not your customers - says a lot.

#7 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Roberto,

Thank you for the compliment. Over the years I have discovered that if you try to sell a customer a camper that they will not be happy with, as in your case a smaller camper with a large family and a dog, that it hurts our business in the long run.

I can say that almost every one of my customers is happy with their camper and they sell more campers for us as they travel and tell people about them.

If I was able to talk you into a smaller camper and you were not happy using it, felt crowded, you would lose me more sales in the long run as you tell people about your experience with my company. I may lose sales from time to time because I feel that a customer would not be happy with our product for one reason or another but in the long run I gain a lot more than I lose with our reputation for how we treat the customer and our service after the sale.

I know you will still be happy with the Keystone from FWC and at the same time you will recommend both companies probably down the road because of your experience.

I know Stan will be good to work with for what you need and there is no reason for me to even try to sell you something that for your size of family will not work for what you want to do.

Good luck on getting the Keystone shell set up the way you want and if you ever just want to talk about camping or hear some great stories that I have gained over the years from out customers, give me a call.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#8 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

Ben, what you say makes perfect sense - why do so few people understand it?

"Common sense isn't common"

Here are some pictures of my rig as currently set up.

Posted Image
Posted Image

That's a Callen Camper, made here in San Diego. It's a minimal one, they are made with a steel frame, and very strong. However, they don't offer popups, and a cabover high enough to sleep in would make the whole thing ... too big.

#9 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

You can almost hear that truck asking for a new pop up camper!

Nice rig...welcome aboard.

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:51 PM

Nice set up. I have seen a few of those used for work on different trucks. One thing that I can see though is you will have to get used to taking what you have on the roof off before you pop it up. With the extra length of the keystone roof, it will be almost impossible to lift with the extra weight on top. Just one of the things that you get used to when you go with the pop up.

One customer on the threads came up with a great idea for a helper to lift the roof though. Don't know how much weight it will lift. I haven't had a chance to make one yet but in your case it might be worth it to try one out. Simple to make and use.

Here is a link to the post for it.

http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=680

Here is another link for a more complicated one but looks like it would work great also.

http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=215

Your right about common sense. Unfortunately today that has gone by the wayside with most business's and all they are interested in is the bottom line. I hate to say it but customer service seems to be a thing of the past also. I think auto answering systems should be outlawed for business's and if you don't receive an answer from a business in a set amount of time, they should be fined for it. I have a couple of vendors now that I am looking for a replacement for just because of those reasons. One in almost impossible to get a person on the phone when you call and they may return my call in two or three days. The other I have 3 calls into them currently to order parts and have yet to get a reply. I have always wondered how a business can operate with type of service.

Anyway, off topic now. I can get to rambling on that one.

Hope the links help.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users