29 replies to this topic

#1 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

Have any of you tried to adapt the ODL or Wizard retractable screen doors to fit a camper. It looks like it would be a great solution. It fits on the inside it retracts out of the way and it looks cool to boot.
Jay

#2 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:52 AM

Jay,

Do you have any contact info for either of those products??
My wife was just recomending sometjing like that for the Ranger..

Tom

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:01 AM

A few years back there was a company at a home show that offered a custom fit screen door for houses. I looked into that company and found with the Ranger back closet door it would not be able to open all the way with the unit mounted on that side. It was a unit that had tracks at the bottom and top. The screen would pull out of a round tube at the end and attach the other end with a magnet.

At times a screen door would be nice, just did not spring for it at the time. I would also be interested on a aftermarket solution without replacing the whole door.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:41 AM

Have any of you tried to adapt the ODL or Wizard retractable screen doors to fit a camper. It looks like it would be a great solution. It fits on the inside it retracts out of the way and it looks cool to boot.
Jay

Here is the like to Wizard: http://www.wizardind....com/index.html Looks like thier windows can pull from the top down. That might be ok if there is enough room.

Here is ODL: http://www.odl.com/s...actable/faq.php

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:50 AM

Are these cheaper than what Ben or FWC does? Or work better?

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

Tom, Pat & Craig,
Mounting space would be an issue. The screen door is the one thing I really would have loved in all my campers. I just never got around to putting one in and from what Ben said its a bit harder to retro fit but totaly do-able. And from what I've seen of all of your guys work it would be a piece of cake.

Mosquitos world wide have a alert system when Jay rolls into town so in hot climates with the door open I really need a screen or lots of brain numbing bug juice. I get eaten alive and my wife never gets one bite. My next camper will have some sort of screen door.
Jay

#7 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

To put a screen door in is really not a problem. The only real issue is price. With FWC or our campers, you can't just add a screen to your existing door. The Screen Door for the campers is a complete unit. It has a deeper frame and the Screen is part of the entire unit. They are nice, just a bit pricey. A new screen door runs 215.00.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#8 Coop

Coop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra CA

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:32 AM

Here is a suggestion for a "home made" bug screen for the rear camper door.
It has worked well for me over a good number of years. It won't stop 100% of those pesky flyin' critters,
but...it's been effective enough that, day or night, we really haven't given bugs much thought at all.
Like I said though, not 100% like a screen door, but...pretty darn effective.
Basically it's nothing more than a "harem curtain" made out of heavy(1/8" is good, hangs straighter)
clear flexible vinyl plastic sheet (curtain).
Cut the sheet wide and long enough to cover the entire door opening or whatever suits your needs.
Leave a couple of inches to start with at the top uncut (you can adjust[reduce] this depending on
how you decide to mount the curtain above the door). Cut (from top to bottom) the sheet into strips
of any width you want.
In my case I made them 1 inch. Be sure and punch clean round holes across the top and start your
downward cut from center of the hole. This will prevent the cut(slit) from continuing to tear at the top.
Secure the slit sheet with sheet metal screws into the aluminum frame tube above the door, and use
as big a diameter flat washer for the screw size you can get. I think I put about six across the top,
starting about an inch or so in from the edge.
Adjust the mounting height of the curtain or trim the length of the strips so that they hang just
slightly "above" the bottom door sill. This is so they don't drop down in front of the sill and
prevent the door from closing. And... you've got your bug curtain.
The photos aren't the best, but...I think they pretty much clarify my description.
The nice thing about the curtain, especially when it's new and clean (mine is pretty grungy now),
is that you can see out through it great, and it's lets all the light in. It's almost glass clear.
That's another reason I didn't make the strips too narrow. The more strips might tend to make it
less... see-through! But...on the other hand it could actually make the curtain even more effective
because the strips may hang tighter? I didn't experiment with that!
When it gets grungy and won't clean up nicely any more, simply make a new one!
One other benefit is that, if you've got your hands full with a coffee and a plate of food,
you don't have to reach down and open anything, you just push your head through, and out, or in,
you go! And...my hound dog likes it too, just like his doggie door at home! Comes and goes at will...!!

No worries with bugs...Coop.

#9 Coop

Coop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra CA

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:02 AM

For some reason don't seem to have the option to "edit" my previous post about making the bug curtain.
So I'll add this additional post.
Just wanted to add this note (tip). If/when you purchase the flexible vinyl sheet it will probably come off a roll.
So it will have a nasty "curl" in it.
This will eventually come out as my photo shows. But it makes it a real pain to work with!
To start with, what I suggest is, cut the curly sheet to the width you want, then cut it plenty longer
than the the finished length.
Put several holes across the top and then hang the sheet, preferably in direct sunlight for a day or
two or three, whatever? Until it hangs nice and flat and straight. If need be, to speed things up a bit,
attach (clamp) some even weight across the bottom as well. Not so much though that you end up distorting the sheet.
Then, go ahead and finish up the job!

Coop

#10 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:38 AM

That's a nice looking setup! The round holes at the top of the slits are something it probably would have taken me a couple of iterations to figure out. Thanks for the details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users