• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

getting ready to spend a couple of weeks in the bridgeport calif mtn. area and thought i would share what i have built to make fwc work even better! gas rack is 1 inch tubing holds 2 gas cans and have 2nd rack that bolts on top for 2 more cans (4 cans when we go to baja on long trips) propane rack is built the same,both are mounted to receiver hitch and are removable.ladder rack is 1 inch tubing top mounting plate bolts through body with backing plate,bottom is bolted through floor,set up now for water can and sat dish,but can be changed to carry 2 mtn. bikes.front rack holds hi-lift jack and is removable ,capable of mounting elect winch,and is built to hold weight of tacoma when i have to get un-stuck(happens more than i like!)fold down table holds stove food boxes and room for cooking,top of this rack mounts awning,and brackets for swing out kayak rack,in future i will show how this is mounted(top can be lifted without removing kayak)remember drive slow and enjoy because "its the journey

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0489-1.JPG
  • DSCF0487-1.JPG
  • DSCF0499.JPG
  • DSCF0500-1.JPG
  • DSCF0490-1.JPG

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Wow great work! I especially like that side rack with the shelf!

#3 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

lq,

Very nice work. I really like the table/awning set up using the jack brackets as a mounting point...great idea. Did you have all the racks fabricated or are you lucky enough to have the welding skills? My skills are mostly wood related but welding would be real handy for work on the camper add ons. Enjoy your trip and keep us posted.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#4 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

Yes i do my own work invested in wire welder and cut off saw taught myself and it pays for itself over and over!plus you can experiment without spending a lot i am building a device to help raise top,i have large solar panel plus 3 bar roof rack so top gets heavy will share when its finished (will try out on bridgeport trip) drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#5 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

Very nice! Post more details as you have time.

And have a great trip!!!

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#6 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

Sweet! Post more pics, details, etc. when you can, that looks great! Well thought out and built! Thanks for posting!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

LQ, Wow next time I get into the San Diego area I'm going to contact you for a welding lesson. I was thinking of buying wire welder From Harbor Fright oops Freight. Really nice work

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Any truck pics with everything set up! I think that may be one of the most extensive set ups i have seen.

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#9 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

That is a great setup. What is the table made from and how much weight can it support? When you get a kayak on there post a picture.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#10 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

the fold down table is made with 1/2 inch angle iron with the table section out of 1/2 inch plywood,pre-drilled and painted with expoy paint then set into frame with sealer,table has pin on each end(bottom) that fits into frame ,held in up position with 2 pins with wire keepers (cant recall what they are called!)when table is down i have a center support that swings out .holds 2 loaded plastic food boxes ,stove,water jug,or just about anything that fits! i'll show kayak rack next time i use it.for most trips i use a custom trailer that holds dual sport motorcycle,kayak,misc. gear. trailer is built for off road use baja etc. drive slow enjoy the trip,"its the journey"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users