• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

We are also Hallmark owners, a 2014 Guanella on a Ram 2500. It is a solid, well made, 8-foot model with a north-south bed. The electric lift makes setup easy and quick. The inside is comfortable and airy. A very livable space with some thoughtful features. We are happy with it. The buying experience was satisfying with ample communication and confident scheduling. We had the camper installed at their factory which is spacious, clean and organized. 

With just a little more effort Hallmark could have an outstanding product. Attention to design and production slips in a few areas, and their highly regarded customer service was not evident to us. Slow to respond, incomplete answers, missed items on the order, botched turnbuckle installation, and not taking responsibility for mistakes are marks against them. Months later they have not even checked back to see how we are doing. To be sure they are busy with post-recession orders, but the work of a superior company does not end at delivery. 

We recommend Hallmark because they make one of the best popup truck campers with options to suit almost any taste, but we cannot give them 5 stars because of lackluster support and inattention to detail. 

See you on the trail. 

gallery_4486_837_32665.jpg

gallery_4486_837_139363.jpg

gallery_4486_837_182539.jpg

gallery_4486_837_42258.jpg

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

Congrats on the new camper, it looks like a great rig!

Hopefully, you provided constructive feedback to Hallmark so they can learn and do better with their next customers.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

Very nice, congrats. It fits and suits your truck perfectly.

Have fun.

I hope you gave Hallmark your feedback. It's difficult to improve without it. I'm sure they strive to do their best, but it requires a constant effort. Without feedback, they may assume they are doing everything perfectly.

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

Thanks.

I certainly gave Hallmark feedback although it seemed like they didn't care. The dynamics of a family operation are interesting. 

Except for the turnbuckles problems were relatively minor and would not have taken much to fix. 

Not a big deal, just a little disappointing. 

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

Not a big deal, just a little disappointing.

Equally though, it's not a big deal for Hallmark to turn this in the other direction. A follow up phone call and a thank you card go a long way. Owning up to an issue and a requesting an opportunity to make it right, is all it takes,

It sounds like a little fine tuning within the company is what is needed.

Hopefully the camper exceeds your expectations.

Enjoy,

#6 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:50 AM

We received a thank you card a couple of weeks ago.  We had a cabinet latch break and Matt sent three replacements.  However, they did install split chain links on the rear turnbuckles and they both failed when we hit a bump on a washed out section of road in New Mexico.  I called Matt and suggested that they not use those split links period.  We are lucky I didn't loose the camper.

I'm typing this from a camp site at Lake Pueblo in Colorado.  The camper is very nice inside and has an upscale feel compared to the more utilitarian feel of a FWC.  A lot to like about these campers.  

Edited by enelson, 08 February 2015 - 01:51 AM.

#7 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

We received a thank you card a couple of weeks ago.  We had a cabinet latch break and Matt sent three replacements.  However, they did install split chain links on the rear turnbuckles and they both failed when we hit a bump on a washed out section of road in New Mexico.  I called Matt and suggested that they not use those split links period.  We are lucky I didn't loose the camper.

I'm typing this from a camp site at Lake Pueblo in Colorado.  The camper is very nice inside and has an upscale feel compared to the more utilitarian feel of a FWC.  A lot to like about these campers.  

Lake Pueblo was recommended by a Colorado friend but we didn't get a chance to go there that trip. Maybe another time. We did camp at Moraine Park in Rocky Mountain NP which Hallmark recommended and it was great. 

Interesting that Hallmark botched your turnbuckles, too. On ours they made 3 errors that resulted in 3 of the turnbuckles coming loose and one falling off in a few hundred miles. Hallmark was neither apologetic nor helpful and insisted that they knew what they were doing. :blink:  I fixed it thanks to Torklift's fine support even though it was not their fault, and the turnbuckles have been fine ever since. At least I learned how the turnbuckles are supposed to work which is important knowledge. 

Moraine Park Sunrise

gallery_4486_837_8164.jpg

Edited by Bigfoot, 08 February 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#8 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

Could someone please explain the turnbuckle issue to a newbie?  I will be picking up our Hallmark K2 in May and this will be our first camper ever.  It would be nice to be able to have whatever it takes to remedy the problem when we take delivery.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

Could someone please explain the turnbuckle issue to a newbie?  I will be picking up our Hallmark K2 in May and this will be our first camper ever.  It would be nice to be able to have whatever it takes to remedy the problem when we take delivery.

Well, you'd think that securing the camper to the truck is a basic, well known technique. However, there are several different systems and opinions on how best to use them. Installers mix and match components depending on the camper and the truck. I recommend that you read up on TorkLift and HappiJac tiedowns and turnbuckles so you know the options and how they work. If you know what you want, tell Hallmark and insist that they follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. If you would rather let Hallmark make the decisions, carefully check their installation. If you are continuing on a trip bring tools for tightening the turnbuckles which have a tendency to loosen in some situations. 

I went into this not knowing a turnbuckle from a turnover. I assumed Hallmark knew what they were doing. I was wrong and Hallmark was no help in fixing it. Fortunately, I was able to do repairs on the road. When I got home I did the research I should have done before hand. With TorkLift's help everything is fine now. 

Edited by Bigfoot, 09 February 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#10 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

I am vacillating between Hallmark and FWC. I hope Hallmark fixes their issues because I really like their campers and think they would be more comfy. However a camper sitting on the side of the road is no good to me so get the turnbuckle issue resolved! That can be a deal breaker......

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users