adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:01 AM

****GRANDBY SOLD! Truck is still for sale. See post below.**

Hey all~

Up for sale is my rig, a 1996 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel and 1997 FWC Grandby. All the details are in the below Craigslist post, as well as a bunch of photos. More pics and info available upon request, of course.

http://bend.craigsli...4889293161.html

I had this setup for 3 years but I've downsized and bought a new truck (Tacoma) and camper (ATC Bobcat). My neighbors are looking at me funny and I'm getting a bit embarrassed having two sweet rigs in my driveway, so this one needs a good home!

I do field biology work in the Mojave desert. I love how self-contained and self-sufficient I can be in this truck: tons of h20 and fuel capacity, solar and propane setup to keep me in the backcountry for days. Or I can go to the ski resort, pop the top and fire up the heater to get dressed or hang out in it for lunch. This setup has not been babied, as I've lived in and worked out of this truck for several seasons. But, I have kept up with the needed maintenance and cleaning. I have literally every receipt for the truck since the bill of sale in organized binders. The lift panels and eventually the pop-up vinyl will need to be replaced (again, details in the CL post with pics). This was going to be my winter project to have fixed but I've run out of time.

I'm hoping to sell as a package deal since that just makes sense with all the add-ons and such. But I'd be willing to do a separate deal for the right terms/price. Let me know.

I'm located in Bend, OR and have a pretty flexible schedule the next few weeks before I go back to work in mid-March. Fire away with questions and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP.

thanks and cheers,

Adam

email: adamdrummer80 @ gmail dot com

phone: 937-five72-one655

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0531.jpg
  • IMG_0547.jpg
  • zombie side popped.jpg
  • zombie front.jpg

Edited by adamdrummer, 21 February 2015 - 05:27 AM.

2012 Tacoma TRD Access Cab

2013 ATC Bobcat

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:35 AM

That's a cool set-up.  Great condition considering it's age and the amount of use it has received.  You've obviously cared for it.

I enjoyed looking at your set-up.  Best of luck with your sale.

#3 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:58 AM

Thanks Bill.  I appreciate the feedback.  

This rig gets a lot of attention and people are always stopping me to talk about it.  Other than replacing things when they needed to be done, I bought it fully setup like this from an ExPO guy, and he did a great job with quality parts. So I can't take credit for the design. :) 

At first I though, why the hell do I need a winch or air compressor...but when I've been able to pull people out of ditches or fill up tires in the middle of nowhere or blow out my air filter, I've come to appreciate the accessories!  

I needed my truck and camper to be able to get me around reliably and comfortably for long stretches on the road, so I had to keep up with the maintenance. Even with 300k miles, I feel its a trustworthy rig.  For what it's worth, my mechanic said he wouldn't be surprised if the engine went to 500k miles.  It sure is nice to have a truck that can carry the full weight of the camper and 40 gallons of extra water/fuel & food...cruise down the highway without even feeling it or affecting the fuel mileage too much...then be able to take me anywhere off road.  

2013 ATC Bobcat

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

A bit off topic to your sale, but I'm interested in why you are downsizing?
GLWS

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

Hey Lighthawk~ good question about the downsizing.  Several factors played into my decision.  I'll try and explain without getting too complicated.  

1) I really wanted an extended cab for my field gear when I'm on the road.  My original plan all along was to keep the Grandby and put it on a extended cab full-size truck.  When I began looking around and test-driving "newer" 3/4 and 1 ton diesels I realized they were just too big for me. I also found out that the older Grandby's may not fit the newer model rigs without modification.   For my work, I'm often on unimproved roads or construction sites in the Mojave with limited turning radius and backup abilities.  My current setup often felt too big for this.  The Tacoma is a much more suitable field-sized rig for me.   My ideal setup would have been a Hawk-sized camper and a Tundra.  But the opportunity presented itself with my new Bobcat/Tacoma rig, as both were in my area, and I went for it...  I'm going back to work soon, and I didn't have the time or desire to keep searching around hoping that one would show up without having to travel to far.       

2) Financing:  I got  a great deal on financing through my credit union on a newer 2006+ truck.  I wasn't too excited about the cost of a newer full size truck.   Most of the ones I found had higher miles than what I was looking for.  I was able to get the 2012 Tacoma with 22k miles on it an have an extended warranty for several years. 

3) I don't feel like I really need to big truck towing capacity or payload.  Don't get me wrong, it was sweet to have the "hypothetical" ability to tow almost anything with the Ford and load it up and not worry about payload.  But I've only towed one time (a load of firewood).  So the overall cost/benefit of the big rig and fuel economy just didn't make sense for me for what I use my truck for.   

Whew, hope that makes sense.  

-Adam

2013 ATC Bobcat

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:38 AM

Thanks, Adam. What you say makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your point of view.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

I created a Photobucket site with a bunch more pics.  I figured pictures were worth the proverbial thousands of words...

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.  

cheers!

Adam

adamdrummer80@gmail.com

http://s172.photobuc...997 FWC Grandby

2013 ATC Bobcat

#8 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:06 AM

Camper sold today!  Will repost truck once I redo the ad.

2013 ATC Bobcat

#9 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

Below is the new Craigslist post to the "naked" Ford. 

http://bend.craigsli...4898736668.html

Also, can anyone clue me into how to change the title in the Topic?  Or should I just have started a new topic?  I'd like to update it.  Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Ford side.jpg
  • Ford back.jpg
  • Ford front.jpg

2013 ATC Bobcat

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

Sold?

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four Wheel Camper Grandby, Ford 7.3 Powerstroke, Expedition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users