• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 bajabill

bajabill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

I'm starting over on this post because I screwed up on the topic last time.

I have a 2002 Grandby and I'm looking to buy a slightly used truck to switch out.

Is there any advantage as to truck brand?  Ford, Chevy, etc.  Does the Grandby fit better on one particular brand of truck?

How difficult/expensive is it to beef up a long-bed 1/2 ton truck for the 8' Grandby?  Or should I forget a 1/2 ton and go for a 3/4 ton?  I'm trying to get the best gas mileage.

Any advice is appreciated as I really don't know which direction to take.  Thanks!

Edited by bajabill, 01 March 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

First, I would check the guide on the FWC web site, and then I would contact Stan or Brenda at FWC so you can see what truck choices you have and whether you might have to build a platform for the camper or make other modifications.  I have a 2013 F-250 with my 2014 Grandby.  I personally think you would be making a big mistake with anything less than 3/4 ton - (Ford F-250 or Chevy/GMC 2500).

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

My opinion: 

1.  Most V-8 half ton regular cabs (optioned with the larger V-8 if two are offered) with leaf rear springs and a 8 ft bed and a 3.73+ rear end payload 2,000  pounds and so are a good choice for a Granby.

2.  Most V-8 half ton extended cab 8 ft bed trucks payload 1,500 pounds give or take and so are tight on capacity.

3.  Ford offers the payload package which increases the regular cab to 2,800 pounds payload and 2,300 pounds for the extended cab long bed (better rear axle, better springs at all four wheels, E load rated tires, heavy duty shocks, all for a only $1,500) last generation.  Even more payload on the new aluminum cab models.  Very tough to find used Fords with the payload package but look for a leftover new 2014 work truck with the payload package for a good deal, maybe two in the state of Iowa.  (My 2013 regular cab payload package 5.0 V-8 work truck is not for sale since I love the truck. :) )  Payload package Ford 1/2 tons have a GVWR of 8,200 pounds on the door sticker and 7 lug nuts on the wheels.

4.  The newer the 1/2 ton build date, the better the brakes.  All models have have upgraded the brakes in recent years.

5.  The Ford and Toyota Tundra bed rails are higher so 2002 Granby may or may not need a piece of plywood under it depending on how it was made. Measure to see.  If you go 3/4 ton, then the Ford cab is higher so you still need the camper lift if the camper is low so measure the cab height.  Granby's with the lift for bed rails and Ford 3/4 cabs have a couple inches of aluminum below the camper door and around 1" without the lift.

6.  If you want to do hard off road driving, then get a 3/4 ton.  Many standard 1/2's have 2 rear leafs plus the overload spring.  My payload package 1/2 ton has 3 rear leafs plus the overload spring.  3/4 tons have 4 rear leafs plus the over load spring.  Coming down off a rock with a camper on the back works better with 4 rear leafs.  Air bags also work but they have their issues.

7.  My 5.0 V-8 gets better gas mpg than a 3/4 ton gasoline.  My truck weighs less and my engine is smaller.  Expect 15-16 mpg with a light foot and a 5.0 V-8.  Expect 10-14 with a heavier 3/4 ton gas truck and larger V-8 depending on how much technology the truck has.  Both older trucks and larger engines will lower mpg since engine technology is changing a lot.

8.  3/4 ton and 1 ton regular cab long bed trucks lightly used can be purchased cheaply.  I saw a one year old Chevy with 6,000 miles and a 1 ton for $6,000 less than my new 1/2 ton regular cab payload package model.  The new price for a 3/4 ton regular cab Ford work truck was the same as my 1/2 ton.  We wanted the better fuel MPG's and so got the 1/2 ton.  Watch for rounded bottom bed corners on used Chevy/GMC which may require plywood under the camper to lift it above the rounded bottom bed corners for Chevy/GMC based on old posts.  Check with FWC on fit.

9.  Bigger cabs require bigger trucks.  Get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton if you want a crew cab 8 ft bed and say goodbye to mpg for such a big truck in a gasoline engine.

10.  If you want to put a 8 ft Granby on a 6.5 ft bed then get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton since so much weight hangs out the back.

#4 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

My opinion: 

10.  If you want to put a 8 ft Granby on a 6.5 ft bed then get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton since so much weight hangs out the back.

That is a really thorough answer!

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

Yes it is and I read every word! Hmmm may have to rethink the Granby. Can you say Hawk????? Only orther real option would be the smaller cab and 8ft bed which will have a crappy turning radius.....

Thanks for the info!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 gregdaw

gregdaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationYukon, Canada

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:23 AM

I second the "chat to the factory" comment.  I bought a 2011 Silverado a few years back and then almost bought an older Granby - luckily the seller warned me to check tailgate widths.  My Chevy's has shrunk over the years.  I seem to remember that I was told to look for a 2002 Granby or newer (and I am still looking).

#7 Mr. Vertical

Mr. Vertical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Location80461

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Search for a 7700 Ford F150, 8' Bed 5.4 Triton

#8 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

Having a Grandby on a 3/4 ton, long bed, club cab, Cummins powered Ram, I would likely buy a 1 ton next time around, for the extra GVW rating. Right now, loaded I sit just shy of 8600 lbs. with a 8800 lbs. GVW. I am doing better than some but would like a little more overhead on the rating. I am not concerned about the weight of the load as I had custom made springs by National Springs made but it's the "legal" part of things. If I was over GVW, it could result in some serious liability if something happened. I would NEVER recommend a 1/2 for ANY pop up campers. They are just under rated for a camper that will likely end up with a higher combined weight than what most think it will be. I am sure many will disagree but that's my opinion.

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

#9 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

I absolutely agree with staying under GVW. I am amazed at how many people talk about being hundreds of pounds over weight but it's okay cause they can hardly notice. I'll bet the insurance companies will notice when something goes wrong and I'll bet they won't cover you if you are at fault. I will make sure I am in the legal limit of whatever GVW I end up with.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#10 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

I absolutely agree with staying under GVW. I am amazed at how many people talk about being hundreds of pounds over weight but it's okay cause they can hardly notice. I'll bet the insurance companies will notice when something goes wrong and I'll bet they won't cover you if you are at fault. I will make sure I am in the legal limit of whatever GVW I end up with.....

I'm one of those jerks who has to be ridiculously overloaded and then run around and tell everyone…..

and I couldn't agree with you more.

Your on the right track.

I'm putting a Grandby on a one ton SRW reg cab long box chevy.  I'm sure the stock suspension will have no issue and there is always the benefit of (in most cases) beefier brakes. Which is a point that I rarely hear discussed and the problem that caused me the most grief in my past life.

Edited by DanT, 05 March 2015 - 02:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users