35 replies to this topic

#1 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

So I have been looking and shopping for used model, and I think at this point I may just buy a new one. 

But now that ATC builds the flatbed model I am thinking that might be the way to go. I need some pro's and con's? Lay it on me folks!!!

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:17 PM

Pros - makes use of the full foot print of the flatbed, therefore more storage and space. It can allow for a side door and different inside configurations if desired, such as rear window and rear dinette.

Cons - flatbed set up adds expense. Floor level is higher and therefore overall camper height and center of gravity is higher. Higher climb into camper. I could not park my camper and truck in my garage as I can now. Harder to sell when the time comes.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

Passed an XP Camper the other day and have to say they look nice.  I've also looked at FWC's flatbed model and like the layout and extra room.  However, it takes a different kind of dedication to have a flatbed camper because you lose the use of the truck.  That for me is the biggest drawback.  My camper is in the bed 99% of the time, but I like the ability to remove it when I need the truck.  It isn't often but enough to keep me away from a flatbed.

#4 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

Can you not just remove it from the flatbed? Then you have a flatbed instead of a regular truck bed.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Can you not just remove it from the flatbed? Then you have a flatbed instead of a regular truck bed.

Yes, just like a standard bed. Some prefer a flatbed for a work truck.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

I like the space of the flatbed model and I would be just fine having a flatbed on my truck. Geezer made a good point about selling at some point though.

#7 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

I like the flatbed idea also. As for using the truck without the camper I can see most regular users who spend the $$$ for a nice camper in most cases the truck's primary role is to just haul the camper and is not typically the daily driver or sees very few daily use miles to start with. Not everyone uses their camper truck as their only vehicle. Which case I really like the Flatbed idea you get a good layout all the things I really don't like about the standard smaller camper is fixed with the flatbed approach. The added step up height doesn't bother me your using a step or steps either way. The effort to take a camper off a truck and put it on the truck is pretty much the same be it flat bed or standard bed. The only downer would be the added expense of getting a flatbed set up you like the looks of and of course has some nice storage boxes mounted under the bed sides etc.

If your a big traveler and camper I doubt vehicle value is going to be a big concern by the time your done with it anyway ;-)

#8 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

I use my truck everyday, I'm always hauling or building something it seems, ex home builder but I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I have been wanting to put a flat bed on it for a long time. I can build it myself so the only cost will be materials. 

I think the extra few steps is no big deal either and I like the side entrance layout a whole lot better. Plus the added space to have 4 full humans in it would be nice for ski trips.

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

Pros - makes use of the full foot print of the flatbed, therefore more storage and space. It can allow for a side door and different inside configurations if desired, such as rear window and rear dinette.

Cons - flatbed set up adds expense. Floor level is higher and therefore over camper height and center of gravity is higher. Higher climb into camper. I could not park my camper and truck in my garage as I can now. Harder to sell when the time comes.

Under pros I will add that when the camper is off the flatbed has more flexibility for carrying things that would not fit in a regular pickup box. Removable sides can be added to the flatbed if needed. For off-road use the mounts between the flatbed and truck frame can be cushioned to allow some movement. Also, a flatbed camper is cool which is worth something. 

Under cons the flatbed installation will require custom mounts, rear lamps and fuel filler. In particular the fuel filler on modern trucks, especially diesel, can be sensitive as to angle and height. Finally, the flatbed makes the truck and camper more of a unique, integrated unit that will be difficult to upgrade should either need to be replaced. It's a commitment. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#10 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

I like the space of the flatbed model and I would be just fine having a flatbed on my truck. Geezer made a good point about selling at some point though.

I should have stated this better.  Yes you can remove the camper.  But as others have also stated, the flat bed truck limits your resell market.  Again a different level of dedication to have a flat bed camper.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users