Batteries Solar Lithium LiFePo4

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

Your Stark battery is a self contained unit so it's hard to tell what BMS functions are built in. I would guess, if sold as a drop in unit, it should handle most situations. I looked at the website to see if I could get more information but a technical manual is not there. Might pay some dividends to call and ask if "Maximum Charge Voltage Disconnect" and "Low Voltage Load Disconnect" are built in functions. If so, what are the range of voltages.

As for a programmable charge controller, they do exist as DC-DC charge devices. These are designed to limit the current flow to "X" at a set voltage but the problem is that most of those are designed for lead acid batteries going through bulk, absorption, float, equalization, which a Lithium doesn't need. Some allow a limited amount of program options that allow voltage set points that might work. Here's one made by Xantrex.

The high voltage disconnect is 16 volts - load disconnect is supposedly at 10 volts, however the battery case says 9.2. Either way I don't plan on running below 11. I have an alarm set up in the Xantrex to go off at 30% and in theory could set up a load disconnect. 

#12 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

Great write up Harv. I'm anxious to follow your progress.

Thanks Tim. I go out for a 7 day trip at the end of the month to Lone Pine, Bishop and Death Valley and give it a real test. So far I've been only testing consumption with the Hawk sitting in the garage by running the Dometic 24 hrs/day for the last three days. By the next morning, the battery is usually sitting at 70-75%. I have two solar panels, a 150w sitting on the roof and a 100w portable. I've been stringing the 100w panel outside to catch the sun and the batteries usually charge back up to by 1pm. With both panels out open to the sky, I don't anticipate any issues with getting a full charge before night fall. I probably have an overkill in capacity. 

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Batteries, Solar, Lithium, LiFePo4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users