• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

I've been battling in my head over wether to leave the tailgate on my truck. It would provide a "porch" and I'd be able to attach some jerry can mounts for fuel and water. The tailgate already has a few dents and scratches. ? I know you cannot close the tailgate when the camper is in but, can you take the tailgate on and off once the camper is already installed? I'm leaving in the morning to pick up the Hawk. What would you do?

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 14 March 2015 - 08:19 PM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

I think it's easier to get in and out of the camper from a step lower than the door threshold. You don't have to bend over as much since you are stepping up through the door rather than stooping over from the tailgate. Just my .02

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

I left mine off.

That porch will make it more difficult to get in and out of the camper....think of doing the limbo every time you want in or out.

(Maybe your a limber youngster and can pull off those moves?)

Your truck will be 2' longer and your tailgate is now your bumper (mine won't close with the camper on).

Will your spare tire winch work with the gate on?

Lastly it weighs about 50 some pounds.

Pluses?

None really come to mind for me.

Edited by rotti, 14 March 2015 - 08:29 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#4 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Getting in and out through the door is the biggest issue I see in leaving it on. Probably won't bang heads as much on the doorframe. I have toyed with the idea of getting a tailgate from the junk yard and cutting an opening in it so you can use it as "step through" and have the two outer thirds to use as a table and to mount metal rocket boxes to hold stuff. Have not gotten to that project yet though!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

The spare tire access is an important thing to check. x2 on the ease of entry and exit comments.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:45 PM

Think carefully about the various conditions when entering and exiting the camper.  Because the actual door is so short, we always enter and exit while facing the front of the truck.  

Add some dust, sand, and dirt that gets left on the tailgate due to driving, and walking on the tailgate.  Now you get some rain on the tailgate making it muddy and slick. Your shorter than 5 ft 21" significant other may need to sit on the tailgate briefly to exit because you put some leveling blocks under the rear wheels, and the steps got knocked over the last time someone entered the camper. 

Her legs can't as easily make the reach to the ground as your's and now Momma ain't happy no more.  Wet knees aren't too hard to deal with but a cold, wet, muddy posterior can dampen the spirits considerably.  

Jes' sayin'. 

Paul

Wisdom is learning from someone else's mistakes. Experience is learning from your own. I may have too much experience.  :)

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

When ATC installed my Bobcat, they left the tailgate on and at first I was bummed that they did, but after the first 5 minutes of using it I was so glad they did. It's a very sturdy step up to (or down from) the camper without having to totally rely on whatever little step stool you're using. Plus, if you plan to store things on top of your camper (kayak, roof rack, etc.) you can easily stand on the tailgate and fully access the roof from side to side without having to constantly move a little step stool around.

The "porch" is also a very handy place to set things while you're in camp or to stage things you're packing/unpacking from the camper.

The only drawback that I can even think of is that I may have to get a receiver hitch extension if I want to use my Thule bike rack. As it is, I can easily hook up my small utility trailer without an extension, but extensions are only like $10.00 at Harbor Freight, so it's not a deal breaker.

Plus, my porch is deep enough to hold a Jerry can of extra fuel or water on each side of the door (something I'm considering making a mount for). For me, the benefits of having it on far outweigh having it off.  In the end though, it's personal preference.  I see more rigs with the tailgate off than on, but that doesn't mean they ever tried it with the gate on.  Either way, it's easy enough to take on/off once you get your rig.

Good luck...

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#8 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:42 AM

I'm gonna be the outlier here. Since I can close my tailgate with my Finch in my standard bed Tacoma and because the camper doesn't live on the truck the tailgate stays on. I like my porch. I have a doormat which is used religiously before entry. It doesn't keep all the dirt/dust/rocks out but I'm sure it does a great deal. I can also leave dirty shoes and other items in the space to the sides of the door if I don't want it inside. I came from owning a Flippac to getting in and out is pretty much the same for me as it was prior to the FWC.

Try it on and off and see what is best for you.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#9 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:03 AM

I have toyed with the idea of getting a tailgate from the junk yard and cutting an opening in it so you can use it as "step through" and have the two outer thirds to use as a table and to mount metal rocket boxes to hold stuff. Have not gotten to that project yet though!

I like this idea. I have a spare tailgate for my truck. Maybe I'll try this eventually.

#10 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:21 AM

I wish I had the engineering/welding skills to fabricate a tailgate extension that would allow me to close it even with the Hawk installed. Best of both worlds. I really like the idea of leaving it on. I'm pretty darn tall and it is just me and the dog. Having that extra storage space would be nice, but the extra length is a concern. I guess I'll just have to play with it and see.

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 15 March 2015 - 03:22 AM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users