• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:43 AM

If it's not too late, I suggest you leave if off.  You are 6'9".  I'm sure you'll enjoy stepping up into the camper vs. feeling like a giant entering a little hobbit sized door.

You will also lighten your load a little by keeping the tailgate off.

Edited by Bill D, 15 March 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#12 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

Yes, for your height I would leave the tail off. I had the gate on in my tacoma/eagle combo. The tail gate provided a nice area to place water jugs, beer and shoes. One drawback I did discover is that my tailgate trapped water when its in the open position. I took off the camper once right after a rain storm. There was so much water in the tail gate, I had trouble closing it but water gushed out after I closed it. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#13 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

I pick up my Fleet in less than a month and have planned to remove the tailgate, but have also considered getting a hitch storage platform, which I believe would be at a level several inches below the where the tailgate attaches. Some of theses have low sides: a few inches. My untested idea was that it might help with entry to the camper, or be a kind of porch, as well as help store quickly off-loaded gear (firewood) if I either modified it or added a piece of filler plywood that raised the bottom level with the sides. In some situations I can see it being a nuisance, lengthing the truck, blocking the door etc. All speculation now.

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#14 lostnot

lostnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

I have always left mine on. Easy to get out of camper because you have a large porch with bed liner material it is not slippery. The step down is to a step attached to the 2" receiver. I tow a Geo Tracker with it and have also used a modified bike rack. The original reason to keep the tailgate on was that i towed the Ranger full time behind the motor home and had no where else to store it.

#15 Greeneggsslc

Greeneggsslc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:23 PM

I have always left mine on. Easy to get out of camper because you have a large porch with bed liner material it is not slippery. The step down is to a step attached to the 2" receiver. I tow a Geo Tracker with it and have also used a modified bike rack. The original reason to keep the tailgate on was that i towed the Ranger full time behind the motor home and had no where else to store it.

Did you have to move your license plate, if not have you had any problems with cops pulling you over with an obstructed plate? Our truck is very tall and we have an old dog so we would prefer to leave the tailgate on to help the old man getting in and out of it

#16 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

Did you have to move your license plate, if not have you had any problems with cops pulling you over with an obstructed plate? Our truck is very tall and we have an old dog so we would prefer to leave the tailgate on to help the old man getting in and out of it

This is an old thread. Lostnot hasn't been online in over a year and a half so I don't know if he will see this to reply.

I have never had any problems with a bike rack partially covering the plate. But I depends on the state and the cops.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#17 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:44 PM

Dog ramp works great for our lab. Loose the tailgate. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

Another plug for a dog ramp.  We use one for our dogs, simply to avoid injury when they would normally jump out of the truck.

I am haunted by waters

#19 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:08 PM

I leave my tailgate on, no problems with cops yet.

#20 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:57 AM

I can't leave the tailgate on with mine.  But if I had one that fit inside the bed with the gate up I'd keep it for the porch aspect and having a solid surface to prep meals on.  If the camper was larger than the bed and the gate wouldn't close anyway, I'd pull it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users