• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CamperCarl

CamperCarl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

El Comino del Diablo from Ajo to near Yuma, Arizona, is about 100 miles , quite a bit 4-wheeling track. The La Playas at about the 50th mile is a 1 1/4 mile mudpie after a rain. The Grandby , MOBY DICK, looked like it had been dipped in chocolate.  So much Border Patrol traffic that the "roadway" track is 2 feet below the terrain and full of standing water - with deep mud at the bottom. Had to use the pirate tracks to avoid stalled vehicles and those  tracks went everywhere, up to 200 yards away and no hint about where they are really heading.  It is best to  wait  at least a week after rain. 

Camping was good at Papago and Tule wells. We had both places to ourselves. The damage to the Cabezza Prieta wilderness and other borderlands from 8000 miles of Border Patrol special tracks is disgusting.

#2 Ambling1

Ambling1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSonoran desert

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the update on the Diablo. I was going to try that route 8 years ago, it was highly recommended by a retired Park Service friend. Made it to the wilderness boundary before Border Patrol pulled up behind me. After he decided that I wasn't one of the bad guys, he highly encouraged me to turn around. The whole time talking with this agent he had his hand resting on his assault rifle, eyeballing me and the horizon. For me, camping and exploring and assault rifles aren't a good mix.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

Pics Carl. You know the rules ;)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desert, borderlands

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users