3 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

I only have one battery in my van and have always carried extra-long, extra-stout jumper cables in case I accidently kill the battery.

I bought a Micro-Start XP1 (by AntiGravity Batteries) for my motorcycles and took it along on our trip West last Fall.   It came in handy at Lake Granby.  A young couple asked for a jump for their dead mini-van battery.  I don't think the mini-van even turned over a full rev before starting.

A few weeks later, I stupidly left my headlights on while we toured a visitor center and nearby ruins at Mesa Verde National Park. When we came back, my battery was so dead it wouldn't pop the door locks.  The XP1 easily started the van and we were on our way within minutes of encountering the problem.

A few weeks after we got home, the battery in my wife's Honda van died. Again the XP1 did its job easily.  But that also made me realize I should put a similar unit in her car. I had noticed a similar box at Walmart --- a 'Jump & Go' by Whistler.  I researched it as best I could and decided to take a chance on this cheaper version.  I had originally paid $143 for the XP1 in 2013 and a Jump & Go was $60 (plus $4 for a full-replacement warranty).

My brother also bought a Jump & Go and I was happy to hear a few weeks later that he had had occasion to use it and it did the job easily.  But a few weeks later his son tried to use it to start a customer's car outside their shop and apparently connected it up backwards.  He said it started smoking and they somehow pulled it off and threw it in the snowbank... where it basically exploded. It ruptured the case and lifted it up an inch or so.

JumpAndGoEdited.jpg

Bottom line: Pay attention!  These are not polarity protected and are quite powerful. Follow directions carefully.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

Update:

Well, I'm disappointed in one of my micro-starters (the XP1).   A charge isn't lasting very long now.

I bought it in December 2013 so it's a bit less than three years old now.

I've used it a half-dozen times and charged it up very soon after each use using the 12-volt charging cord. 

I believe I've done a reasonable job of checking it and would typically find it down a light after a few months.  Then in mid-September I found it down four lights and that was only two months after a charge.  It would have been too weak to start a car.

Yesterday, I found it was already down two lights since last month's charge.  Looks like it's headed downhill.

When I put the XP1 in the van I thought I might as well take the jumper cables out.  But I decided I'd kick myself for that if the XP1 didn't work for some reason (dead battery, broken cable or clamp, broken switch, etc).  

I guess the bottom line here is my expensive micro-starter is more of a consumable than I realized.... and it doesn't do away with the need for jumper cables.

Also- the two Jump-N-Go boxes are still looking good but one's only about two years old, the other 18 months.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

Sometimes, even after a warranty has expired, the manufacturer will make good on an item, either a full replacement or something else.

I always make contact just to find out if there is anything that can be done for me.

It only take a few minutes and it gives the manufacturer some feedback.

I've found that a really good company will make me a customer for life.

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

Good point, Alley-Kat!  I just dashed off an email to them with everything I could think about it --- how it had been used, stored, what types of loads I had put on it in use, how often charged, light pattern changes over time, etc etc.  Who knows.

If nothing else, maybe I'll learn something for my next one. 

UPDATE - 12/16/2016

I was reminded in another thread that I had not provided any feedback on the response to my email. I should also include that info here.  Bottom line is I was disappointed by the response.  I didn't expect to be compensated on a device with a long-expired warranty but several of my questions did not get answers.

Edited by Old Crow, 16 December 2016 - 02:38 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batteries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users