• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:15 AM

I'm thinking of replacing that rubber socket/metal plunger door holder with the new one being delivered today. Mine can't hold the door anymore and probably needs a new rubber socket. I'd like to hear some feedback on the new one. Thank you.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#2 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:47 AM

The one that holds the door open? I replaced just the rubber piece with a new one from Camping World I believe and it worked great. Didn't cost much and was pretty easy to replace. Original only lasted about 18 months. Maybe I should buy a couple next time.

Alan

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:53 AM

The new one is very solid and positive in holding the door open. No complaints about how well it works but there is one disadvantage. If it is holding the door open, you have to get out of the camper and go around the edge of the door to release it so that it can be closed.  A disadvantage in Oregon where the ground is always wet and if I have removed shoes, I need to put them back on unless I want wet socks.  At least, I have not been able to release the latch to close the door without exiting the camper. 

With the door holder like you have, you might be able to fashion a cheap alternative.Install a screw eye or footman loop in the inside of the door and and another in the camper rear wall.  Attach a miniature bungee cord with a hook to the door screw eye/footman loop and stretch the bungee over the door and  hook to the camper wall screw eye/footman loop.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:39 AM

I have the same problem with a worn out rubber insert. We use a bungee to hold the door while we wait to get a new insert. We can unhook it without leaving the camper. It works so well that we have using the bungee for a couple of years and don't feel the need to fix it. Probably will eventually though.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:44 AM

I agree with Paul and Kilroy.  I believe Bill Harr made the same comment in another thread.

It's nice to be able to reach out and close the door from the inside of the camper.

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:45 AM

Our FWC is just over a year old and the rubber socket is already not holding the door well anymore. Granted we use it a lot so your mileage may vary.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:38 AM

I replaced mine with RV Designer E260 1.5" x 1" Rubber Socket for Metal Door Holder https://www.amazon.c...d_Qikjvb17HXB50 and it now holds great

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

#8 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

I am probably just repeating what others have already said.  We stopped by FWC last week and both Mike and I requested the new door latch.  I then changed my mind.  Mike installed his and it looks good. The replacement rubber for the old door holder is not really that expensive, although it would be nice if they lasted a little longer. I bought a couple so I would have a replacement when needed. 

I decided against the new latch because I also did not want to have to climb outside to unlatch the door. When I need the door to stay open in a bad wind, I have a short bungee cord that I attach to the door and the jack bracket.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#9 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

Thank you all. I think I'll just keep the existing one and replace the rubber one. I don't like the idea of having to exit the camper to close the door. 

#10 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

I am probably just repeating what others have already said.  We stopped by FWC last week and both Mike and I requested the new door latch.  I then changed my mind.  Mike installed his and it looks good. The replacement rubber for the old door holder is not really that expensive, although it would be nice if they lasted a little longer. I bought a couple so I would have a replacement when needed. 

I decided against the new latch because I also did not want to have to climb outside to unlatch the door. When I need the door to stay open in a bad wind, I have a short bungee cord that I attach to the door and the jack bracket.

Steve

Steve, can you point me in the direction of where you got your replacement?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: door

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users