37 replies to this topic

#21 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:06 PM

Great info on this thread... thanks!

am considering a Caribou Lite 8. 

Bob (Outfitter) just mentioned that they'd do the extended bed (king) over the cab with no moving parts. Sounds better to me than a slider. 

John

#22 4wanderers

4wanderers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:31 AM

Yes, would be. Slider is a bit finicky in the Outfitter iteration. I would strongly suggest north south bedding - that I would NOT give up. You don’t want to be climbing over someone at 1am with barely 2ft of headroom. But that means you will have a long Cabover if no slider

#23 Swaff1

Swaff1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationoHIo

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:00 AM

Still have the Caribou Lite?

I am thinking about buying one and I am wondering how it holding up & under what kind of usage?

#24 4wanderers

4wanderers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:29 PM

Yes, we do. We are now 9 months into an overland trip on the PanAmerican Highway. Started in Deadhorse, Alaska ( that’s mile 0 you might say ) and are now in Banos, Ecuador. We expect to be in Ushuaia, Argentina by May which will be 12 months since we started and ( by then ) 20,000 miles under our belt. We do a blog each week ( not sure if I am allowed to mention the name here ) and I often comment on camper matters. I also did a feature story on the unit in TruckCamperAdventures online magazine where I outlined all the pros and cons.

Basically, it is serving us very well. Minor gripes, as with everything, but it has been solid so far and it has been on some very rough terrain. As far as serious pop-ups go, the Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5 is good and the new owner, Scott Mavis, has addressed the issues that people complained about under the former owner.

Hope this helps !

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:30 AM

Yes, we do. We are now 9 months into an overland trip on the PanAmerican Highway. Started in Deadhorse, Alaska ( that’s mile 0 you might say ) and are now in Banos, Ecuador. We expect to be in Ushuaia, Argentina by May which will be 12 months since we started and ( by then ) 20,000 miles under our belt. We do a blog each week ( not sure if I am allowed to mention the name here ) and I often comment on camper matters. I also did a feature story on the unit in TruckCamperAdventures online magazine where I outlined all the pros and cons.

Basically, it is serving us very well. Minor gripes, as with everything, but it has been solid so far and it has been on some very rough terrain. As far as serious pop-ups go, the Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5 is good and the new owner, Scott Mavis, has addressed the issues that people complained about under the former owner.

Hope this helps !

blog link is fine as long as its not commercial.   I think it would be great to follow along.

I am haunted by waters

#26 4wanderers

4wanderers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:47 AM

It's www.oneendlessroad.com.

Enjoy !

#27 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:48 AM

It's www.oneendlessroad.com.

Enjoy !

I edited to make the link work.  Looks like interesting reading.

I am haunted by waters

#28 Corvus1

Corvus1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:57 PM

Just curious how condensation has been in the camper? I know it's been a problem many have reported in the FWC models and those who have the Overland X have reported far less condensation. Just wondering how it is in these. 

#29 4wanderers

4wanderers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:19 PM

You picked a good time to ask. We are just ( temporarily we hope ) back in Canada ( due to Corona virus ) after 10months travelling the PanAmerican Highway through Latin America. While we have mostly been in hot weather there have been times , usually at high altitude, where it was very cold and we needed to use the furnace. Here are a few points I would make to address the condensation issue:

1. We get very little condensation but the worst examples were when we just used the cooktop heat to warm the camper, rather than the furnace

2. I assume that is because the combustion occurs in the camper with the cooktop whereas when using the furnace, the combustion is exhausted outside

3. We used the cooktop when we just wanted a little heat - we have found the Suburban furnace to be terrible. Big, heavy, noisy and with no speed control so we hated using it. I would DEFINITELY pay more and get a smaller, more efficient and quieter Propex unit if I had my time over. Or a diesel heater

4. We don’t spend a lot of time in cold weather but what we have done to combat the condensation is to just turn the heat on and warm the camper before we go to bed and then turn it on again in the morning before we wake up. We just have enough blankets to stay warm at night when sleeping

5. The other trick if you have the furnace on at night is to allow some cold air into the camper- roof vent or window, which allows some air exchange

I don’t think the condensation issue is related to brand of camper as much as it is to the simple science of heating an area/surface when the outside area is much colder. Likely it is exacerbated in pop ups because of the soft sides.

Hope this helps.

#30 Adevntureklaus

Adevntureklaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:20 PM

Since there isn’t much info out there on Outfitter Caribou Lites I’m going to start sharing my experience with the one that I own. We will be living in it full time for the next 3-9 months. I purchased it this past summer. It’s a 2016. So far it’s holding up really good. Everything works great and has been. We just started on the road (11/27/20) I have it on 99 Ram 2500 diesel and it drives really well with it. The last couple nights have been in the mid 20s. At night it’s been getting a little cold inside but works well. Feel free to ask any questions. I will post here with updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users