• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:19 PM

We bought our Hawk with the water heater and external shower option and have used the exterior shower quite a few times in mostly National Park CGs where showers were not available nearby. We used the bathing suit method and I even rigged a curtain rod off the jack mounts. Still between eyes and weather, it wasn't ideal. After much rumination and an AHA moment in Orchard Supply Hardware one day I figured out an interior shower that the wife said was superior to some of the more sketchy CG showers.

The first step was to change the faucet in the sink. This was on the list of upgrades anyway but got a boost to the top since I wanted a threaded aerator that I could remove to attach a shower hose.

shower01.jpg

The AHA moment came when I ran across a mortar mixing trough. It has a flat bottom and high sides. It travels on the back seat with the drain plumbing facing up. More on plumbing later.

shower02.jpg

The next piece of the puzzle was to construct a circular-ish curtain rod / shower hose holder. I used a PVC structure along with custom-made curtain hooks made from steel wire and spray painted. I put a hose holder in the middle and a Tee at one end to make an shower caddy attachment point. When driving, the "ring" pretty much sits like in the picture except the top is under the the comforter.

shower03.jpg

The "ring" hangs from small hooks I screwed into the lift boards. Four little bungees suspend it rather nicely.

shower04.jpg

shower05.jpg

continued...

#2 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

For the shower hose, I used the hose that came in my camper's Ready-To-Go package since I'd replaced it with a longer one in the outer box. One end screws into the faucet with an appropriate adapter. The other end is shown here with a hose to 1/2" adapter, a short 1/2" nipple, a shut-off valve, and the shower head. The nipple has a 3/16" brass rod glued through it to hold it firmly in place on the the shower ring yet allow easy removal if needed. The end of the holder is a TEE that I removed the top half of the cross part and drilled a hole to take the rod.

shower06.jpg

I put some non-skid tape in the bottom of the mortar trough and mounted a bulkhead fitting with insert as low as I could on the side.

shower07.jpg

10 feet of 1" tubing and a hose clamp for added security are mounted to the bulkhead fitting and run out the door to a waiting bucket. Water doesn't drain while showering really, but I just have to tilt the trough and things empty out pretty quickly. Bold adventurers could just drag the trough to the door and lift it out.

shower08.jpg

The last piece is the shower curtains. You need two I found out since they have to go all the way around instead of just one side. I hang them from curtain hooks with overlap and one gap towards the door where there's space to get out and finish drying off.

shower10.jpg

Not much space on the floor but you don't need a whole lot. Not really the place to shave your legs.

shower09.jpg

The downside is that it takes about 10 - 15 minutes to set up and a bit longer to put away what with dealing with the waste water and all. On the upside, if there is proper disposal available, you can use regular soap or body wash and shampoo instead of the biodegradable stuff. I know many of us have sensitive female companions or, like me, are delicate flowers who prefer a decent wash after a sweaty hike without bugs, eyes or especially the wind.

Alan

#3 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:45 PM

I'd just use a Zodi Extreme instead of rigging the overhead plumbing.  We use the Zodi in our inside shower stall in the winter when the built in hot water heater is winterized.  We heat it on the stove.

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:32 AM

Nice job alano!

Your ability to photograph and explain your process was excellent.

Thank you for sharing.  I'm sure you will inspire a lot of people to take on the project. 

#5 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

There are a lot of similarities to the FWC inside shower in my Grandby, as in the use, and time to set up, clean up, and put away.  Sometimes there just isn't a good way to shower outside, due to cold or wind.  I'd be stealing this idea in a heartbeat if I didn't already have the inside shower.

I like the ability to tilt the trough to fully drain it.  Even with the center drain trough in my camper, fully draining doesn't really occur, there tends to be water in the lines until I park front high in the garage to drain out the last bit.

One thing that I might mention, for someone who wants to copy/steal the OP's idea.  The FWC camp shower curtain has bungie around the upper perimeter, and there are plastic hooks in various places on the roof to hook it to.  This might be an alternative to consider, instead of the upper framework.  Since the FWC inside shower uses the same shower hose/quick disconnect as the outside shower, there's an identical shower head holder on the ceiling, as you see inside the exterior shower compartment door.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

Where is the FWC indoor shower hose fitting?  Is it a standard factory install on all models, even those without the indoor shower option?  THX.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

Great topic. Thanks for the thorough explanation with pics!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

Nice shower setup.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

There is no interior shower fitting on the standard model. I replaced the faucet and used the aerator threads to connect a home-made shower hose for inside use. We still use the FWC shower hose for external showers and dishes.

Alan

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

On my Hawk with front dinette, the interior shower has a panel essentially identical to the exterior one. It is mounted near the top of the forward end panel of the cabinets holding the sink and stove.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users