• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Any thoughts on the on the new 2.8L Duramax Diesel. I believe MPG Is 27.:

http://www.dieselwor...colorado-beyond

Someone with new truck and camper:

https://instagram.co...?taken-by=fwcjh

I wonder if he is on Wanderthwest.com I'd like to get his feedback on the new motor. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

I really like some of these diesels that are coming or here already.  The issue I see is that they are very expensive.  A Ram 1500 w/ the diesel is about $40k.  For a truck!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

I really like some of these diesels that are coming or here already.  The issue I see is that they are very expensive.  A Ram 1500 w/ the diesel is about $40k.  For a truck!

For the full size trucks, plan on an extra $8,000 minimum for a diesel. You have to drive a lot of miles to get a return on your investment. My suspicion is the same math applies to the 1/2 ton trucks.

If I didn't pull a big travel trailer and boat, I would have purchased a gas rig instead of the diesel.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:50 AM

Someone with new truck and camper:

https://instagram.co...?taken-by=fwcjh

I wonder if he is on Wanderthwest.com I'd like to get his feedback on the new motor. 

How do you know he has the diesel engine?  By the thick badge on the passenger door?

#5 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

that Canyon is the all-terrain model with the 3.6 v6 gas engine, the oil burner is still on the way.. soon 

#6 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

How do you know he has the diesel engine?  By the thick badge on the passenger door?

I guess I don't. I miss read fwcjh's comment

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#7 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

I think the cost is going to be the big deal.  There are now several smaller diesels coming out in various rigs.  MPG's sound great if you can choke down the cost. Some see truck payments like rent or a mortgage so the cost isn't as big of a deal.  I usually try to pay mine off in 2 or 3 years and these days I doubt I could do that now.  Unfortunately these are in 1500/150's and it's not enough truck outside of a grocery getter in my opinion.  I've had a diesel truck since 2000 and if I had to replace it, I'd probably go gas.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#8 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

Unfortunately these are in 1500/150's and it's not enough truck outside of a grocery getter in my opinion. 

There in lies the problem.

The specs show a max payload of up to 1,600 pounds for the GMC, 300 more than its main competition the Tacoma. Even so I am carrying almost a 1,000 pounds over what they offer as their max payload.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

I may be on the other side of the argument here but I have a 4.7L Dakota w/ a FWC Eagle.  No issues really with it, etc.  I have airbags on it but nothing else really.  Carries the weight just fine.  Power is different story and I'd love to have the equivalent diesel option for the torque.  The Dakota is a gas hog (in my view) and to get 2x the mpg and torque would be awesome.  I still have the problem of the cost though for these new rigs.  I pay cash for my cars but as I stated in another post $40k?  I'll wait for used ones in a few years and see how the reliability is.  The RAM has a fiat diesel, etc.  Nissan will have a big Cummings.  These producers have been doing diesels for a while so they should be reliable but I'm not sure what they changed for the US market.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

I haven't dug real deep into this as I'm not looking at new trucks. However in recent years the GM diesels have been designed by Isuzu. They have been making diesels for a very long time and plenty of them from small trucks to medium trucks. The Colorado is also based on the Isuzu Dmax truck sold overseas. It's hugely popular and has a rep as a rugged vehicle used by emergncy services ect. 

It appears this engine is a US update of an existing platform that has a great rep. The older Isuzu 2.8-3.1 TD is the go to diesel conversion for everything from US Isuzu's to Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. It's plentiful and long lived and parts are easy to get except in the US.

My guess is that this will be a sweet motor and truck combo here in the states. Small trucks with decent diesels are way over due here in the states.

Here is a little discussion and a comercial about the new Austrailia release. http://forum.planeti...hp?f=12&t=81850

Edited by Squatch, 17 April 2015 - 04:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users