• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:31 AM

yeah that test looks good,but if one were to do that for lets say 50,000miles that little 2.7 turbo will be toast ...

#22 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

yeah that test looks good,but if one were to do that for lets say 50,000miles that little 2.7 turbo will be toast ...

Why?

We put 2000 flight hours on DA-42 engines (2) before replacement per FAA regulation.  The engines are torn down, examined and exhibit no undue problems except they can no longer be used in the DA-42 and obtain liability insurance.  What and who makes the engines?  They are Austrian Austro Engines, specifically, "AE 300 turbocharged, common-rail injected 2.0 liter diesel engine with 168 HP and EECU single lever control".  A derivative of Mercedes light commercial truck engine which typically endures 500,000+ miles when scheduled maintenance is performed.

I do agree that constantly operating a diesel engine at a vehicle's GVWR/GCVW will potentially lead to accelerated wear/tear on the engine, suspension and other components, but I would counter 200,000 miles before overhaul is not too conservative of a guess.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#23 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

I think that's the other part of diesel engines.  They last for a lot longer than gassers.  If you saw what people were doing with smaller diesel engines in New Zealand (we were there about a month ago), I doubt there will be any issues.  Full size trailers, etc. being pulled by typical cars and 1/2 ton trucks.  All day, every day.  I'm sure the engines will be fine although I have to admit, the first few years of these "new" engine designs to meet US emissions has me wondering.... which is why I bought a 2 year old VW TDI before the new ones came out with the additives you have to have now.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#24 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

i was talking about the Ford 2.7 turbo v6 gas engine truck not the gm diesel...

#25 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:04 PM

Aw yes, then I totally agree that it'll be an interesting "test" to see how it does over 4-5 years.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#26 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

I think the "buyer beware" banner should be in full view for any Gen1 motor, regardless of fuel or manufacturer.

Ford had a proven winner with the 7.3.  But, the release of the UL Sulfur fuel demanded a new design.  The 6.0 was a problem engine.  Follow ons to include the current 6.7 are very good engines.

I'm not up to speed on GM.  But Ford and Cummins build some of the very best diesel motors in North America.

#27 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

About 10 years ago, a BMW straight six gasoline engine was driven 2,000,000 miles and then the engine disassembled.  The BMW gasoline engine had no significant wear after 2,000,000 miles (verified, see Mobil 1 oil test).  Meanwhile, long haul big rigs tried V-8 diesel engines and found they did not last as long as a straight six and so almost all long haul trucks are straight six (unverified statement).  Pickups have V-8's for lots of torque but not life or fuel economy.  The longest lasting most fuel efficient pickup engine would be a straight four diesel which is very common in other countries but does not deliver the torque and acceleration most American's want (they do not like regular cabs either, no explaining taste).   Anyway, a gasoline engine can be built to last as long as a diesel but most buyers do not want long life since most vehicles are traded in five years.  The Dodge Cummins straight six should have the longest life of any engine in a pickup but all the non-Cummins bolt-on parts are not as durable.  EDIT:  the four cylinders referred to here is in a larger pickup.

Diesel price 20 years ago was set by cheaply processing naturally occurring diesel in crude oil but now over half the cars in Europe run on diesel and look at the much larger number of pickups with over-sized (not straight four) diesel engines.  Now the additional diesel is manufactured synthetically which costs a lot more.  If a ship cargo of diesel goes up for sale in the Gulf of Mexico, then Europeans are routinely willing to out bid American companies and so the price of diesel is set on the world markets.

Edited by iowahiker, 28 April 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#28 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:12 PM

I would take a straight 6 over any other offering any day.  It is a much better balanced engine with a lot more HP and torque comapred to a V-6. 

Manufacturers stopped designing around the striaght 6 to save weight and decrease the front length of a vehicle, saving additional weight and drag.  But, ultimately, reducing the amount and cost of raw materials.

I have rented a number of cars in the EU over the past 10 years.  Every one has been a diesel.

#29 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

Perspective in the rear view mirror:
There were some great diesel HIGH efficiency engines back in the early 80s coming out of Europe.
The 5 cylinder Audi diesel (I owned one-'81 *Audi 5000) is a good example. 40 mpg road milage in a full sized sedan at good+ speeds. Since then, new engines had to be keep being developed by all manufacturers to accommodate all the many various emissions regulation changes. Of course efficiency took a hit.
In the big cities, the stringent emmission regulations/changes likely make sense, but those of us in the rural wide open spaces (low percentage of sales) suffer all the consequences with really none of the benefits.
That's life......

*Rest of the story...
The Audi built drive train (engine, std 5 speed trans, transaxle) was superb. The rest of the car was crap. Go figure. (Audi outsourced heavily then, a lot to GM Europe)
Had the car about 150k mi, I couldn't keep the car around the drivetrain functioning because too many of the misc. (expensive) parts became unavailable, and there were too few in the wrecking yards as part donors.

#30 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

This discussion is all over the map so I guess I'll add to the confusion.

I own a construction company and have 6 Diesel engined vehicle. My latest is the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 L Ecodiesel engine. I have averaged 27 MPG in over 15K miles and routinely average over 30 MPG on the highway. The GMC Denali I traded in could only manage to average 14.5 MPG in over 90K miles. So based on the above it is cheaper to run diesel over gas.

When I ran the numbers including the increase in resale value the diesel is a winner. It may not be for everyone but since we are on an explo forum let's consider a pop up camper on a pick up bed. As has been said here many of the smaller trucks (Taco's etc) are overloaded when fully equipped. Now if I was going to take a rig off-road I sure would want to make sure the engine has enough torque to navigate a steep incline overloaded and that's where the diesel would outshine a gas engine.

JMHO...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users