• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

Good luck with the life direction change ... I had one of those 10 years ago... Tough at first...then things straighten out. I have a string on the "TRIP PLANNING" page... "Alaska or Bust" ... I am feverishly redoing interior mods that have been on the list as well as getting the truck ready. That and route planning!!!

I intend to do a string of the same name in TRIP REPORTS.  

I feel like a kid with this truck...did not expect to enjoy it so much... I was never a fancy truck kind of guy ... just hauling stuff around and getting out in the woods. Now.... I do the same but a lot of umph!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#52 Desertratduo

Desertratduo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

Since I last posted in October we have installed our Fleet camper and taken 3 small trips that included only minor off-road travel. The reality check has been that we have blown TWO sets of airbags. One bracket failed to hold position on the first airbag installation. In the second, the brackets held but both airbags failed. In hindsight, I wish we had Buckland's wisdom but glad he provided his info. We have now ordered an additional leaf in our springs to augment the suspension. Don't know if a sway bar would help with the payload problem but the handling seems ok. Airlift has honored their warranty and sent replacements (again) and a new installer wondered if the first ones were over inflated at installation. If the additional leaf (which seems to be the only remedy available for the Chevy Colorado) doesn't solve our problem, don't know what we'll do. The Colorado is a great truck with great mileage, but I wish we had studied up on payload.....

2016 Colorado Diesel Z71 4WD Longbed and FWC Fleet

#53 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

I answered this at the other link below

http://www.wanderthe...d-a-2011-eagle/

Henry David Thoreau

#54 farmtablemouthbutt

farmtablemouthbutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

Howdy buckland, hand foot maneuver from colo/canyon forums!

Next week should be my time to get my order in at All Terrain, getting a Bobcat. Got held up with some bedroom flooding issues over the last few weeks....

To echo buckland there, I could not be happier with my diesel Colo. I lucked out and got mine for the price of the gas model, $4k off sticker, so that $42k sticker shock got toned down a lot. Basically got the $4k diesel package (which includes a lot) for free. Highly optioned with the bose, nav, and the whole enchilada. Interior is excellent.

Couldnt be more pleased with the diesel. I get great mpg here at 6300ft elevation Im still getting 25-28mpg. 32 mpg on the fwy at sea level last trip. No issues at 15k miles. the DEF is cheap and only needs refill every 7-8000 miles so far. $12 bucks a gallon at wallymart, takes 1.7 to fill it. Sheeps urine.

I have 2 other friends here in town with the baby duramax, a duplicate of my truck in shortbed who pulls a larger Rpod and another with a Canyon with a lumber rack and topper, pulls a tent trailer. Both report barely remembering that theres a trailer back there and neither report any issues except a spontaneously bursting rear window on the Canyon....I dont trust his report, I bet he was doing something dumb if I know him at all;) All 3 of us are in the 14k-22k mile range. 

Ill be ordering that Bobcat next week after I move back in to my dry condo. Then will come the ride-rites, the bilstiens, the E rated tires, and the hellwig rear sway (thanks for the tip buckland). Hoping that better options for upgraded replacement parts for brake pads and rotors come in by the time the build is complete. Very little options at the moment. The bilstiens just hit the market I guess.

#55 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Glad you like the ride. I think people are shocked the midsize truck has a diesel and one so capable and comfortable. My camper goes on again this week. I believe after the next two months trip I'll be able to give a good report of any mods the still need tweaking. It's as ready as it can be. I too just got 31 mpg on a drive that was mixed HYW and town. The best was a trip all interstate and I got 33! (without the camper). I think "Max" and I will do a lot of traveling.  

Henry David Thoreau

#56 farmtablemouthbutt

farmtablemouthbutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, it seems like you ride a little heavier than I do. Im not opting for the sink and water tank and such, so on those occasions when I need to carry water, Ill just use blue 5 gal camping containers. Here in the sierras youre never far from amenities like water, crappers, and sushi for that matter;) Death Valley/Saline Valley is about as remote as Ill get around here.

The mileage and torque make it well worth it. Stoked for your big trip! Definitely curious to hear how the extra leaf and such treat you.

#57 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

Thought I'd throw this blog link in for the AK-YK trip with the Eagle on a diesel. btw the sway bar is very nice on corners with the camper on. The extra leaf does make the ride a bit harsher but better than the Tacoma with the extra leaf. The camper is on and it handle great. My mistake was at first putting too much air in the bags ...don't need more than 20 -25 max to level. I had it at 40 and was real bouncy. The leaf is taking all the load now.  I will have a lot to report as I go, I am carrying weight for sure but not excessive. I plan to have the truck weighed on route fully loaded and will post that too (with and without camper).

Here is the blog  http://alaskan-yukon...ip.blogspot.com

Edited by buckland, 29 May 2017 - 06:48 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users