Foraging for fungi

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:20 AM

Make sure you are identifying mushrooms for the area you are harvesting in. Just an example of one, but.....
Back in the '60 a good friend's mother put her whole family in the hospital for the weekend.
The (somewhat) poisonous ones in Ariz looked exactly (to her anyway) like the ones she had grown up picking wild all the time for meals back in upper Midwest.
No lingering long term damage, but it certainly ruined the weekend and ran up a big bill.

All I'm saying is, don't just THINK you know the mushroom is ok. KNOW IT IS OK. Be vigilant.

One of the best dishes I have ever eaten was made by a Blue Mountain OR lifetime logger, old timer, picking 'shrooms on the job site.
I wouldn't have eaten them, but his family said this was one of his specialty mushroom dishes, and he had been picking locally since he was young, and had learned identification and dish prep from an old time logger decades before. Talked me into it, and I was amazed how good it was.
Myself, I have only been brave enough to pick and use morels. I'm going to expand knowledge and my pickings thanks to this thread.

#22 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:47 AM

Great write up, Mark.  The note on the paper plate was the kicker!  SR approves.   

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#23 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:54 AM

Great write up, Mark.  The note on the paper plate was the kicker!  SR approves.   

Thanks. I don't think I was taking any real risk.  After all, if you can't trust old ladies and the Internet, who can you trust?  :blink:

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#24 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

Toxic fungus news in Central Oregon yesterday:

App misidentifies mushrooms, family poisoned

I haven't been able to find any version of the story that says which phone app the people used to misidentify the mushrooms.

#25 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:36 AM

Yikes!  That is terrible.  It's awful that they apparently lost their lives by eating the wrong mushroom.

It's stories like this that bring back all the Grimms fairy tales that says all mushrooms are poisonous and not to be trusted.  

There are poisonous mushrooms (Destroying Angel, Death Cap, for example), which can look similar to edibles.  If you even think of trying anything that has a similar poisonous mushroom, use extreme caution, do diligence with research and/or direct local knowledge is essential.  On the other hand, there are numerous fungi that can be reliably ID'd and eaten.  

Edited by Lighthawk, 30 May 2015 - 04:54 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#26 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:55 AM

There was another recent local story of warnings from local veterinarians to keep dogs away from mushrooms.  Lots of mushrooms had been seen sprouting from lawns with the damper weather we'd been having, and vets have been seeing cases of mushroom-poisoned dogs.

Toxicity mushrooming problem for dogs

I guess most dogs can't tell the difference between good and bad fungus (except truffle hounds, of course).

But hey, despite the two stories I posted tonight, my lobster mushroom story shows that I'm definitely no fungal phobic nor mushroom maligner.   ;)

#27 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

Quick note. We were kayaking a favorite lake at 6000' and taking a break on a grassy shore next to an aspen grove. I went looking for mushrooms and found quite a number of aspen boletes. Many were old, but half a dozen were on good shape. After due diligence, we cooked them up. Delish!

https://www.dropbox....e4CVFNN_At5qAya

Edited by Lighthawk, 05 August 2015 - 10:01 PM.

#28 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:24 AM

Boletes in August! 

That's something we only dream about here...

#29 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

I follow Mushroomtalk as well as Sierra Nevada Mushroom Identification pages on FaceBook.

There are plenty of bolete harvests in Arizona this time of year, from monsoons I assume.

The mid-west is incredibly prolific too, from what I understand.

But, we are just northern sierra fungophiles, still figuring it out. ;)

#30 wspohn

wspohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:56 AM

It was fun reading this. I took a mushroom Id class at HSU in '69, '70? that has provided Jan and me with a solid basis for seasonal foraging as we wander the west. We traded our Tundra in on a new Tacoma because our mushroom roads are growing together and we needed a skinnier vehicle. We look for habitat and check the weather. Summer thunderstorms on high ridges in white fir and under hazelnuts produce white chanterelles up to a pound in size along with Agaricus augustus even though the roads are dusty. We like to go into the winter with at least a dozen quarts of dried mushrooms plus frozen sautéed chanterelles. I should mention that unless your name is David Arora, I would not consider eating a dish prepared with wild mushrooms unless I had personally inspected them. That being said, if you find yourself in a situation where the volume of obvious edibles is overwhelming and possibly staggering, feel free to give us a jingle.

Walt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users