16 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

This is the thread to use when talking about how you take or want to take a particular type of photograph.   It can range from what kind of a lens is or would be best, to camera settings, types of filters, or topics like night photography. 

I am haunted by waters

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

Our WTW site has gotten so deep in info.It's a great platform to give and receive.

Thanks to all.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:54 AM

I'll get this started by saying that I shoot almost anything from landscapes, events, action, macro, portraits, street scenes, abstracts, to night skies. Most of it is outdoors without flash, tripod or filter, although I will use those tools if necessary. Most of my photography is done during walks or other activities rather than carefully setting up a shoot, although I admire photographers who can envision a scene and patiently create or wait for it. 

For the most part technique is second nature although there is always something new to learn. Here is a favorite image from a snowshoe outing on Tumalo Mountain near Bend. Panasonic GH2 with Rokinon fisheye lens. Fisheye lenses have limited application but I like to carry one for when the subject seems appropriate to the distorted perspective. 

p1358595938-4.jpg

One trick I learned is to use a teleconverter on a fisheye to get very close to the subject in tight situations such as this butterfly. 

p1262059564-4.jpg

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:12 AM

Anyone have tips for cave photography? 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

Anyone have tips for cave photography? 

I'm no expert at caving or cave photography but I try when I have the opportunity. Caves are distinctive and there are many photographic approaches including depth, dramatic backlighting, people or water in motion, geometric shapes, etc. In general I do best with a wide-angle lens, tripod, manual settings, flexible light sources, and people in the scene for scale. The light can be from an opening, flashlights, lantern or remote speed lights. I just experiment and try different light intensities and positions until it looks right. So many possibilities. 

Skull Cave in Lava Beds National Monument, Olympus E-M5 with 12mm lens, f4 @ 20 sec, ISO 200

p1710727248-4.jpg

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#6 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

Been playing with this night photography stuff for quite a while. I'm a slow learner but I have figured out it is lots easier to work with night shot files if there is some moonlight to help balance the pic. Able to use smaller apertures for depth of field and overall sharpness, exposures not as long so better to manage movement showing up in the stars, among other things. Processing has more options as the noise issue isn't quite so noticeable.

Still learning with balancing the lighting of camper and outside activity which typically is sitting around a fire with a cold one close at hand.

Here's a pic from first night, super warm so no fire needed and the stars were sparkling. Hard to see in this reduced size but got a sharp sun star off of Venus.

15 seconds, f/4.5, ISO 2500

Attached Files

Edited by CraggyMan, 05 May 2015 - 06:15 PM.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#7 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

Had a bit of trouble getting second pic to load but here is 2nd night of weekend with a bit of weather moving through. Colder temps inspired the campfire and their was probably some single malt circulating.

10 seconds, f/4.5, ISO 2500

Attached Files

Edited by CraggyMan, 05 May 2015 - 06:16 PM.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

Craggy, very nice! When you don't have people in the image, try two shots at night. Shooting manual (and manual focus), use the rule of 500 for sharp stars, then vary the ISO. High ISO to get the foreground, lower ISO for the stars. Load into photoshop as layers, then use a mask to get rid of each portion of the layer that is not wanted. That is, mask out the stars on the foreground shot, and the foreground on the crisp star shot. You can flatten the image if you want, or just save if you might want to adjust something later.

This image is one that uses that technique. The FG is lighted with a LED lantern covered by an amber plastic.

12817774525_70b4c22095_c.jpg

I am haunted by waters

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

Nice. Thanks for the tips.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

Nice suggestion, Steven. Using iso to vary the exposure instead of shutter duration seems like another way to obtain the two different exposures.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users