41 replies to this topic

#11 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

wod

I agree with Crow, if you have a slow leak then turning off the propane at the tank and airing out would stop the alarm.  Even with the propane off the lines would still be pressurized and continue to leak which would lead to the alarm later.  Check all accessible connections for leaks with a soap test.  If you can't find and fix it then I guess you'll have to take it to a dealer.  To rule out the battery turn on the propane but disconnect the battery so that it can't charge from any source.  Make sure to disconnect the battery first in case it sparks.

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#12 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Make sure to disconnect the battery first in case it sparks.

"Always remove the battery's ground clamp before loosening the positive. If you remove the negative clamp and inadvertently complete a circuit to ground, there will be no current flow because the ground clamp is already grounded. Subsequent shorting of the positive terminal to ground will then produce no current flow because the current has no return path to the negative post. And, of course, always reconnect the ground last."

South Carolina Low Country.  

#13 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

I get the alarm going off when on shore power and the camper closed up but no smell. I think it's a battery charging issue.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#14 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:23 PM

Overheating and or overcharging of certain types of batteries produced hydrogen sulfide which smells like rotten eggs. Hydrogen sulfide will cause CO alarms to activate. I would check the batteries and charging voltages to make sure they match. The battery cells may also be going bad.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#15 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:11 PM

Are the batteries HOT when the alarm sounds?

If not, get a Multi-meter and check voltage at the batteries.  Normal voltage will vary depending on the type of battery you have installed.

Do you know if they are flooded (acid/liquid) batteries?

Better yet, take a picture of your batteries and post here.

How old are the batteries?

Edited by Advmoto18, 04 May 2015 - 11:12 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:57 PM

Overheating and or overcharging of certain types of batteries produced hydrogen sulfide which smells like rotten eggs. Hydrogen sulfide will cause CO alarms to activate. I would check the batteries and charging voltages to make sure they match. The battery cells may also be going bad.

I didn't know that, and I didn't see anything on the web to confirm. I thought the would only alert on CO, and not H2S. If that's the case, my previous post was in error on that point.

I am haunted by waters

#17 wodpof

wodpof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:09 AM

Wow, Thank you for a lot of great responses and trouble shooting techniques.  I pulled the two propane tanks out and was going to test it for leaks but a wonderful dust storm blew in here in beautiful Fallon so I will do it tomorrow. I snapped a pic of my batteries and will post it below.  I had planned to follow all of the tips posted above but will postpone until tomorrow due to the high winds. Thanks in advance I feel like I am asking a great deal and providing nothing useful. Story of my life. I have failed to mention that it is a 2012 model.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1408.JPG

Edited by wodpof, 05 May 2015 - 05:04 AM.

#18 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:01 AM

Are those AGM batteries?  Look like they may be flooded cell deep cycle batteries. Only AGM or Lithium without having a vented battery box.

#19 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:29 AM

if they are wet cell, without venting could go boom, dont ask how i know..

#20 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:01 AM

From the data on the label, they look like these Deka AGM, 8A24, 12v, 79aH batteries.

What looks like wet cell electrolyte caps kind threw me at first glance.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users