11 replies to this topic

#1 nocean

nocean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

Hello,

My wife and I moved into our FWC just over two weeks ago now.  So far mostly good.  Couple things wondering about.

First, ran into 4 days of not great weather and in the woods so we didn't get any solar power.  We have a 140 watt panel, super basic controller, and 12v house battery with the basic FWC power system.  I am thinking about setting up the house battery as a 2nd battery connected to the truck engine to charge the battery at least while I'm driving when there are those string of days without sun.  

Any ideas?  Battery systems are expensive and I don't want to invest into something that may not be super helpful.

thanks

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:35 AM

Nocean,

If your FWC is recent, it should already be wired that way. There is a voltage sensing battery isolator between the truck and camper electrical systems that has some behavior you should be aware of. The main feature is that it will keep the truck from charging the camper if you let the camper battery voltage get too low. If that happens, you will have to charge the camper battery by the solar panel or from AC power until the camper voltage is above that threshold.

All that really means is that when you have bad weather for solar power, you may need to run your truck some every day to keep the camper battery voltage up.

Check out the battery separtor operation here: http://www.fourwh.co...parator1315.pdf

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 nocean

nocean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hey Paul,

Thanks for this bit of info.  I'm still learning and since I bought it used not sure what's in there.  Its a 2005 Hawk, not sure if I have this option.  When I bought it, it didn't come with a battery, it only came with a long cable to run directly to the truck battery.  I then just coiled that cable up and ran it back inside to the spot under the bench to a deep cycle 12v where I also ran my solar cable which the camera also wasn't pre-wired for.

Where should I look or do you think my camper has this option?  Or am I getting myself into something that maybe is a little too complicated to deal with while on the road?

thanks

Nocean,

If your FWC is recent, it should already be wired that way. There is a voltage sensing battery isolator between the truck and camper electrical systems that has some behavior you should be aware of. The main feature is that it will keep the truck from charging the camper if you let the camper battery voltage get too low. If that happens, you will have to charge the camper battery by the solar panel or from AC power until the camper voltage is above that threshold.

All that really means is that when you have bad weather for solar power, you may need to run your truck some every day to keep the camper battery voltage up.

Check out the battery separtor operation here: http://www.fourwh.co...parator1315.pdf

Paul

#4 nocean

nocean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

Oh, also, not 100% positive on this since I've only actually plugged in the camper to shore power a few times and only once overnight.  The 12v plugs work, but my battery doesn't seam to charge while connected.  It seemed to give the system time to power my stuff I was charging (cameras, laptop, etc) but didn't back charge my battery to full overnight, its like it allowed the little bit of solar to just fill it up and not be depleted by all the electronics.  

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

Sounds like you could have a unit without a factory auxiliary battery system. Read through the Ultimate Solar Thread here:
http://www.wanderthe...e-solar-thread/

And be sure to check out the Handy Bob Solar website for ideas here: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

Working to understand your camper's electrical system before making changes sounds like the right approach.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

Nocean,

Here's a pic of the battery isolator in my '04 Hawk. It's located above the left front turnbuckle port, next to the AC/DC distribution box. My Iota battery charger/converter is in the same channel towards the rear, tough to see it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1020897r.JPG

Edited by wuck, 28 May 2015 - 08:06 PM.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

On my 05 Hawk the controller/charger is mounted behind the panel on the left side of the water tank. Sounds like you may not have one since the house battery cables run straight to the truck. I believe you would also have a charge indicator panel if you have a factory installed controller/charger, but I'm not sure on that one.

#8 nocean

nocean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

K, I've done a little more research and pulled some panels off.

-No battery isolator.  I goes directly from the Iota silver box and breaker box.  

-2nd note, I installed a solar panel directly from the roof to a solar control unit to the house battery, just FYI.

-Doing a little testing, not exactly sure this is a good test, but I am plugged into shore power currently, the system is to my knowledge supposed to continue running all power to fridge, fan, plugs, lights etc, all off the shore power.  To test, I unplugged my 12v cables from the camper to the battery and all power turned off except for the 120v plugs.  Is this right or is something not working correctly?  I was assuming that being plugged into shore power was both powering my stuff as well as trickle charging my house battery, which it isn't doing that either.  

-I have access to everything, a pain in the butt but I do.  Now, that I know I don't have a aux battery setup readily available, what do I need to do to hook that up?  I can run my existing cable to my truck battery with corresponding fuse.

-Where do I hook up the aux battery cables?  Is that a particular place to do so?  Or do I just splice them in with the car battery wiring?

I need help, its really hard to do this stuff from the road, I'm living and working out of this thing for the next maybe 6 to 9 months and I realize that I have a bigger issue that I feel like I can deal with readily while traveling.  

Thank you.

Also, if anyone has insight or wants to talk me through anything, cell service can be spotty but I would love to chat.

Thanks

Nick

323-308-8864

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:51 AM

It should have the Iota which will power your 12 volt outlets and charge the battery (better with the IQ4). Fairly sure even the shell models have that. First thing I'd do is check all the fuses and look for a wiring problem. Not sure if it was moved in 2005, mines like Wucks. Except, I don't have the separator. Not that I want it. I wonder when they started putting those in?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 nocean

nocean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:06 AM

No bad fuses.  Checked all that.  Any other ideas?  I have a call into FWC but they can be slow to respond.  Also, how should or where should I splice in the wire for the house battery so I can hook up the truck cables correctly with a separator?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tundra, fwc, four wheel camper, battery, charge, power, 12v

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users