49 replies to this topic

#1 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:46 PM

If you are using a RAM 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi could you share your experiences with the truck?

Reliable?

Miles per gallon while carrying your pop-up camper?

Options you recommend getting at purchase?

Anyone just decide to get the 3500 instead?

Thanks.

Edited by BlueRidge, 26 May 2015 - 10:46 PM.

#2 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:17 AM

Its a great platform and with the Hemi has a really impressive payload.  I ended going a different route personally but Truck Camper Magazine had some good thoughts on the Hemi for a truck camper (in a 3500 though) that might be helpful.  

http://www.truckcamp...perience-update

http://www.truckcamp...s-2014-ram-3500

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#3 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

I have a Laramie 2500 CTD. It's a beast. I have managed 26mpg interstate without the camper, but average -22. With camper on interstate in VA getting about 20. Engine pulls hard and truck is a dream to drive loaded. I only wish I had gotten the single rear wheel 3500 long bed so I could be running a Grandby, but again parking and forest roads would be even tighter. The loaded Hawk with water, gear, and dogs starts loading the truck suspension, but not the diesel. When just the Hawk and no water/gear, no loading and actually rides better. Make sure to get limited slip axles. Watch gearing if you intend on hauling all the time or bigger tires.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432724094.564181.jpg

Edited by Jollyrogers, 27 May 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

I have a Laramie 2500 CTD. It's a beast. I have managed 26mpg interstate without the camper, but average -22. With camper on interstate in VA getting about 20. Engine pulls hard and truck is a dream to drive loaded. I only wish I had gotten the single rear wheel 3500 long bed so I could be running a Grandby, but again parking and forest roads would be even tighter. The loaded Hawk with water, gear, and dogs starts loading the truck suspension, but not the diesel. When just the Hawk and no water/gear, no loading and actually rides better. Make sure to get limited slip axles. Watch gearing if you intend on hauling all the time or bigger tires.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1432724094.564181.jpg

Wow, 22 mpg is excellent (hand calculated I hope, as the computer often reads high). Our 2500 CTD gets less than 20 unloaded and 13-15 with a ton of load. The good news is that the load levels the truck perfectly and the weight distribution is evenly split. Without a load the truck is a bucking bronco. Love the CTD's exhaust braking on mountain roads. Not so fond of the rough shifting 6-speed auto tranny. I have tried using the tow/haul mode but do not notice any difference. 

Edited by Bigfoot, 27 May 2015 - 02:13 PM.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#5 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

I tend to manually shift to +4 in mountains and I too love the exhaust breaking. Manually calculated to 25.7 no load interstate travel. It does ride better with the load of the Hawk. Mines a late '14.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

I believe CTD is Cummins Turbo Diesel? I appreciate the enthusiasm of diesel owners, but let's see if we can get some asked for responses from 6.4L Hemi gasoline V8 owners. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

My mistake. The 6.4 will perform well, get worse mpg, but have better payload capacity.

#8 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Make sure to get limited slip axles. 

I'm only looking at 4x4s.   I thought all of those have limited slip axles.  Am I wrong?  

The Tradesman trim levels have the 4WD shifter on the floor and the SLTs have an electronic 4WD shifter on the dash.

Is this an indicator of limited slip axles because I don't see them by name on any of the option sheets?

#9 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

I'm only looking at 4x4s. I thought all of those have limited slip axles. Am I wrong?

The Tradesman trim levels have the 4WD shifter on the floor and the SLTs have an electronic 4WD shifter on the dash.

Is this an indicator of limited slip axles because I don't see them by name on any of the option sheets?

No, just because it is a 4x4, doesn't mean it has limited slip, positraction, or axle lockers. That is just the engagement of the front hubs and transfer case to engage the forward drive train.
It was an option on my truck, that was listed on the window sticker. It's listed in their website as anti-spin rear differential under the power train options. I would talk to a dealer about availability for the front differential. The limit slip diff(s) makes a significant difference off road and snow, and wouldn't get a "4x4" without it, otherwise I'd be adding air lockers or such later. I had lockers in my old '70s FJ40, though great off road, kind of a pain to use.

Edited by Jollyrogers, 28 May 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#10 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

FWIW, my 2014 Ram 2500 5.7 SLT has the shifter knob on the dash.  Three options: 2WD-4Lock-4Low.  I bought it used so I'm not sure what the other options might be.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users