anyone using RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:45 AM

Fiamma awnings actually ship with body mounts (ive had Fiamma's in the past on different vans/rigs). im not sure what FWC does with all these body mounts, must have a huge stock pile somewhere, or they cut a deal and dont actually receive them. i cant stand having the feet go to the ground, dogs get playing and run into them, have to be staked down in even a slight breeze etc.

So i fabbed up my own mounting points off the jack brackets and had some spare body mounts laying around. Fiamma changed the design recently on these and i preferred the old style, so i bought a couple sets while i still could. the new ones are enclosed and can fill with dirt and debris, more of an issue if mounted low on the body like they are designed, like on a van. both will work though.

Anyway, i just made a simple bracket from aluminum angle, had to decrease the angle on the forward one to match up with the leg better, but simple bracket nontheless. works well, never worry about it in a small breezes etc. here are some pics.

Thanks. That is awesome. Wish I had the body mounts to do this. I love my awning, but I also tie my dogs to my running boards with 12 foot leads, and it never fails, they find the awning legs with their leashes[emoji35]

Thank you for taking the time to show me, I may be able to fab something to work for my use.

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:17 AM

Better than the ones Fiamma supplies. 

IMAG0518_zpsonkmkwdv.jpg

The locking piece broke off.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

Better than the ones Fiamma supplies. 

IMAG0518_zpsonkmkwdv.jpg

The locking piece broke off.

exactly why i bought a couple sets of the old style fiamma brackets, i like them much much better than the new ones. had them on 1 VW syncro and 1 4x4 econoline and my FWC now.

So, when i first made these i actually thought i would make a few sets to sell, wasnt sure of the market and i was to busy, blah blah blah......

anyway, sorry to hijack original posters thread, ill post more 6.4L data after this weekend

#24 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

13.9mpg seems to be the magic MPG number. this trip involved mostly interstate and 75-80mph. i was pleased the number didnt go down at 80mph, usually mpg drops exponentially the faster you go over 55. fairly loaded hawk, 2 mtn bikes 2 people and 1 60lb dog and all the gear on a 2500 6.4, i think those numbers are actually pretty good and will probably increase as the motor breaks in more (only 800 miles on it)

#25 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Are you using the trucks EVIC for checking mpg?  on my truck i did a couple of old style math checks and in the last couple of tanks my EVIC was saying 14.5 mpg,  i got 12.5 -13 when i did the math. but my power wagon drops to 12 when i run over 70mph.  still okay, i dont expect more from a heavy truck like this. i do use the EVIC for a range guide and it is close.

#26 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

coguzzi - also - what octane gas and what elevation? thanks. 

snuffy - what's EVIC by the way? I'm assuming the truck computer.

#27 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

yes that is ram name for the trucks computer it shows all the trucks info.  the owners manual for my 2015 says use 89octane  the dealer says 87, i have used both and really can not see any diff.  maybe if you tow max loads  anyone add to this?

#28 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:24 PM

i live in CO at an elevation of 5500ish ft. im using mid grade so far, in CO and western states mid grad is 87. 85/87/91. lower evevation mid grade is 89, right? i always used premium in my Tundra, so its nice to use the mid grade, but i bet it doesnt make a difference. I also did hand calc's along with the EVIC, they were all within .2 mpg. granted im onyl on my 3rd tank of gas in this thing, so results very well may vary

#29 driller

driller

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationRiverton, Utah

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:43 AM

Well after really wanting the Power Wagon it just didn't make sense with needing to pull 5th wheel or haul camper the 2500 big horn won out.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0063.JPG

2015 Ram 2500 ccsb 4x4 6.4 Hemi

Northstar tc850s

2016 toyota 4r trail

#30 driller

driller

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationRiverton, Utah

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

Well the obligatory pic with camper