7 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 13,621 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

What programs or devises does our talented bunch of photographers use to calibrate their monitors to get correct colors and brightness?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 8,822 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

Mornin' Mr 3pin,

I use a Huey Pro, but it's been ages since I re calibrated. There are a bunch of them ought there... Color Monki, Spyder, Xrite. To be truthful, I went for affordable.

As I recall, my iMac and MacBook were pretty close to spot on.

Real Dogs Have Beards - Fear the Beard
Tu Ne Cede Malis

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

I use colorvision spyder as it was pretty affordable and it works well and easy.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,340 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

I'm using Datacolor Spyder4Pro. I've had it for several years...had a different brand before then.

The current version of this brand is Spyder5Pro...but the older version has worked fine for me.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

I'm using Datacolor Spyder4Pro. I've had it for several years...had a different brand before then.

The current version of this brand is Spyder5Pro...but the older version has worked fine for me.

dark ages, spyder2 must have been bought and sold a few times.

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

What programs or devises does our talented bunch of photographers use to calibrate their monitors to get correct colors and brightness?

According to Martin Bailey in a recent TWIP podcast, the only device worth buying in the "relatively low price range" is the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo at $450. His priority is getting accurate prints. He notes that brightness is a vicious circle where camera raw files are often dim, monitors tend to be too bright, and paper and inks can be all over the place. 

I have not tried ColorMunki and, in fact, have not calibrated my monitors in at least 10 years because they seem fine to my eyes. When printing I try to pay attention to the color histogram and use a reliable print shop (rather than fuss with DIY prints). Of course, color is very subjective and when I cannot get a pleasing look I will often try black and white. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#7 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:53 PM

I use the Spyder4pro on my macs and iPod.

Charlie...

Stalking Light

2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Fellow Wanderer

• Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:28 AM

I've got a Eye One by gretagmacbeth, which I use infrequently.   I've found my iMac and MBP displays to be pretty close.  When I outsource prints, the profiles seem pretty true to me. 

06 Tundra AC TRD 4x4, 08 Hawk, Ride-Rite bags, Helweg sway bar,18" BFG AT's

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires

2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users