Photo
- - - - -

Western Kansas

FWC Hawk F1150 Monument Rocks Castle Rocks Scott State Park Kanopolis Mushroom Rock

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wpage66

wpage66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

We are still on shake down and getting everything to work on a new to us 2007 FWC Hawk.  With summer here and the odd heavy rains abating for a weekend it was time for an extended 3 day weekend a little farther from home than our fist Memorial day shakedown close to home. Still working on the water pump to get it functioning, and the 3 way fridge is not fully cooperating - wife thinks everything spoiled, but that will be a different thread on to the trip

Route was something like this

Route_zpshtuh0o2m.jpg

Our first stop was at Mushroom Rock State Park, the rains just opened up as shortly before we truned down the dirt road to the park.  We came in from the west and the turn to the right was slick as we slid around the corner, soon after getting there the rain let up enough for a hike through the little park,  The kids had fun using the Mushroom Rocks as an umbrella.

June15_0427_zpsw6yja734.jpg

The park is small but interesting rock formation.

Then it was on to Lake Kanoplolis, where we found an unimproved, (tent site, -lowest cost) overlooking the lake from the rock bluffs.

June15_0474_zpsfcqrym9b.jpg

A hike down Horsethief Canyon lead to one of the small caves in the area.

June15_0450_zpsy4apjpic.jpg

As night rolled in a storm was rolling in again from the south.  I tried to take some picts of the lightning but mosquitoes got the best of me before the storm got close.  We all stayed dry in our Pop-up.

June15_0069_zpsuk4gdorz.jpg

June15_0483_zpshvegx00l.jpg

Dropped my daughter off at camp the next day then started out to Castle Rocks. 

Stopped for some gas at Victoria and went into town to check out the Catherdal on the Plains

June15_0512_zpsq4cchjxv.jpg

Quite impressive when you think about the limited population in this area that build this massive church.

Edited by wpage66, 18 June 2015 - 03:59 PM.

purchased used, 2007 Hawk, fridge, hot water, awning, sitting on 2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel Pro4X.

Learning the tricks and trying to keep my mod bug in check.

#2 wpage66

wpage66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:11 PM

On to Castle Rocks, it is on private property but open to drive around and look at the bluffs.  I would like to stay out there some night and get some picst of the night sky.  If passing through KS on I-70 and need a little diversion this is worth the stop and I would recommend it over all we did on this trip.  Just respect the area as it is private property and has been closed to the public at times in the past.

June15_0099_zpsptrkjecj.jpg

On the rocks behind the truck was a small alcove that my son spotted two owls sleeping in.

June15_0516_zpssjozsxhb.jpg

Up on the bluffs looking down to the previous pict

June15_0147_zps42ltapkc.jpg

With the wife hiking around the rocks

June15_0149_zps1t0cek6n.jpg

June15_0139_zpszvkknj25.jpg

June15_0164_zpsxufobjyv.jpg

On the way out my son wanted to walk as we went over a few rough spots up on the bluff and he started having flashbacks to a trip to Moab where the side airbags when off in my Xterra,  Since then he has an adversion to doing any fun stuff off road.  As I was driving up he said we look like gypsies looking at the back of the tuck, I started trying to think up a good gypsy name for the camper as it had no labeling on it when I got it.

On to Monument Rocks.

We took the back dirt farm roads on the way there as I have been down that strech of I-70 more times than I care to think about.

June15_0171_zpsm01kjdul.jpg

View comming in from the north

June15_0175_zps5oikus9v.jpg

Both of these formations in Gove Co are chalk formations with a harder cap rock holding them in place and created from eons of weathering.  I told my son that some of these will look different the next time we make it out here.  Several of them you can see some large cracks formaing and another heavy wet season wiill surely add significant weathering to them brining some closer to gravity wining the battle on bringing them down.

June15_0207_zpspdeug8sx.jpg

But for now they make some impressive monumnets even in the flatlands of Kansas.

June15_0180_zps67dhgxkb.jpg

More...

Edited by wpage66, 18 June 2015 - 03:51 PM.

purchased used, 2007 Hawk, fridge, hot water, awning, sitting on 2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel Pro4X.

#3 wpage66

wpage66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

On to Scott City to visit relatives, then to Scott State park for the night.  On the way there we saw a sign for Battle Canyon, we still have some daylight so lets check it out.  Site of the last Indian battel in KS, it really is a sad story of the Northern Cheyenne wanting to get back to their home in Wyoming after mistreatment in Okloahoma on the reservation.

June15_0215_zpskaqrnfdz.jpg

June15_0217_zpsvh12rw7b.jpg

Small cave the women, children and elders hid out in.

June15_0230_zpsftjxksb6.jpg

Near the bottom of the canyon.  We did found a geocache in the area but no picures to spoil its location.

Just a few more miles to Scott Lake where the only known remains of a Peublo in Kansas are.

June15_0235_zps5xam2qce.jpg

Footings

June15_0236_zpskplbwovo.jpg

For some reason I feel that a full rebuild of this would be more impressive, yes it is disturbing a natural site, so rebuild a full replica at a distance.

We found a good spot near the water an set in for the night.

June15_0317b_zpsvqj8kulr.jpg

Milky Way rising in the east close to midnight.

June15_0322b_zpsps9yl2p8.jpg
Our gypsy rig with closeline drying some clothes overnight

On the way back we took K4 hwy for somthing new to see, mainly small rundown farm towns in Western Kansas, then stopped at Chyennne Bottoms for a drive around.  Interesting but the time to see it is in October or March as migrating birds stop and fill up the marsh lands with birds.

All for now.  Yes in Kansas not truely out west but "No matter where you are there your are", explore your own back yard.  The FWC Hawk has allowed us to see some sights we likely would not have seen other wise, yet they have been on my list.  Having the Hawk gives us more of a reason to get out, I guess I don't need a reason but helps convince the SO to go.  Still learning and getting everything to work the way I want.

Get out and explore/travel

Edited by wpage66, 18 June 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#4 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

nice report on a state most people know little about.

I was born in Gypsum Kansas a long time ago!

have not been back in years,but have good memories.

does the wind still blow? :P 

Thanks again,Les,lqhikers

Edited by lqhikers, 18 June 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#5 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:18 PM

Wpage66, I really enjoyed reading about your short trip and looking at the pictures.  Have been through your state several times,  need to stop next time and enjoy it.

#6 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

Looks like you all had a very nice time.  Being in the Sierras, I never really think about the flat states having much appeal, so thanks for changing my thoughts on that.  

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

Nice report. Enjoy your camper

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Nice report. Enjoy your camper

x2! Thanks for posting your report. I was in Wichita once and remember thinking it was the flattest place I had ever been.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

Interesting places to visit there. Thanks for the report and the pics. Nice night shots.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the photos.

Yes Kansas is a place most of just "drive" through.

But there sure is some nice scenery.

Maybe a visit on a cool fall non stormy time.

Thanks Frank.

PS now on to Alaska,and Denali.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC Hawk, F1150, Monument Rocks, Castle Rocks, Scott State Park, Kanopolis, Mushroom Rock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users