• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DAS

DAS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:17 AM

I've seen debates on Torklift vs Happijac tiedowns in general, but wanted to know what experience people had with Alaskans in specific. I'm looking at putting an Alaskan 10 foot cabover on a crewcab RAM 3500. Suggestions appreciated .. Dale

#2 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:35 AM

i had a nco 8ft.  in the late 80s....it was on a f250 i was told by po just bolt it on ,  worked for me but if you were going to remove often i would go with torklift i used them for years with a Northstar camper and never had any problems just my 2$

#3 dcsparky

dcsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

I have the hapijack installed by the factory. It bolts through the front wall of the bed. The rear attaches to the bumper. It has a very low profile when the camper is not on. You also don't have the problem with road salts rusting the tie down brackets especially if you drive in the Northeast.

#4 ACEBLACKDOG

ACEBLACKDOG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

newbie,

i have a northstar so i can not be alaskan specific

BUT

torklift would be my advice...easy on and off especially w/ fastguns... ...the important factor is being attached to the frame...a very important factor if you will be off-roading... ...IMHO --the bed and bumpers were not made to standup to the torque that goes w/ a camper...

enjoy your rig...

ace

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

DAS, one more vote for frame mounted tie downs! We have a Torklift setup for when we use the hard side. Our truck manufacture recommends not using anything that mounts to the bed.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

Another vote for Torklifts. The Alaskan is a heavy popup that can bend bumper and bed mounts. The newer Torklift Talon frame-mounted tiedowns are powder-coated aluminum that resist corrosion. Combine them with FastGun turnbuckles for the best bed mounting available. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#7 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

How do you use the turnbuckles without spreading the door opening? Is it enough to shim between the top of the truck bed walls and the bottom of the overhanging sides of the camper? Do you not crank much on the turnbuckles?

#8 dcsparky

dcsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:33 AM

The front has springs for movement. The rear tie down don't do much work and you just snug them.

#9 verynice

verynice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

I thought the torklifts were those ones that hang down and out from the frame, right in harms way if you're 4-wheeling?  

1992 Chevrolet 2500 350 4X4- Utility bed Factory Alaskan Truck/Camper combo-

1999 Northstar TC800, 2000 Six Pac D850, Many Callen Canopies-

2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9D 4x4-2010 Lance 825-Toyo, Thuren, Solar, Hellwig BigWig everything- current rig

#10 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

nope , unless your offroad by mistake..lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alaskan camper, Happijac, Torklift, tiedowns, RAM 3500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users