Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

This old Granby build


  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

Thanks MDM54,You're right about the home sewing machine not taking #69 thread(i tried),that pucker is probably about 1",I was a little apprehensive splitting it but it makes sense to split in several places along the back up to the seem,at the time it just seemed that corner would be less noticeable.I have less than $100 in that liner with probably enough VCP to do another one.I'm looking at an old Kenmore heavy duty sewing machine,so I won't do that one over again but I may make another one and this time I'll sew the screens ,clear and covers in first then cut the windows.I think this one will have to do for now.It's not that hard to take the liner off if I do it the way FWC originally did and not tuck it under the roof.This whole things been a real learning experience.These campers are a really simple design and it shouldn't be "rocket science"making things fit together but at times I feel like it is..   


  • 0

#22 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

This conversation had me thinking about the seams.  Since the thread is rather thick in dia. do people use seam sealer on the little holes to prevent any water from coming in?  I haven't noticed any but you can see little holes in some places.  I've not heard of any seam sealers being used.


  • 0

#23 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

My old liner must have leaked a little over the years especially around the lift panels because they got damp and rotted but I've been though many rain storms and I never saw it leak.There was never any seem sealer on it.I'm going to put some on this liner.I've used seem sealer a lot on different tents.If you mix Mineral spirits with Clear silicone until you can put it on with a small brush,that's basically the same as you buy,now it does stay tacky to a certain point but its always been fine on silnylon tents..


  • 0

#24 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

When it rains it pours!! Here's the back of my frame,i thought it looked odd popped upbrokeframe1_zpsvhqani9v.jpg

brokeframe2_zpsrdzvnmvo.jpg

Other than take it all apart,I thought I would use 1/8" angle on top bolted through and 1/8" along the front which I didn't do yet.framefix_zpsf3feevgn.jpg

I guess worst case'It'll make a nice truck cap!!


  • 0

#25 billharr

billharr

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

Enjoyed following your work. I would suggest a 1x2 angle (you might have to order it). Or go to a local sheetmetal or HVAC shop and have them bend you a angle  (or "U") large enough to cover the broken tube. I think pop rivets every two inches top and front (plus bottom if "U") would give you all the strength you would need. 


Edited by billharr, 05 July 2015 - 10:55 PM.

  • 0

#26 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

The old alum. is so thin,it crushes very easy,I put 4- 1/4" bolts down though the top,I didn't use any pop rivets and I'm still going to put something along the front but I haven't decided what yet.Those pop up panels that I made are of concern to me because the front one doesn't "pop" like it's supposed to when I push it in place,so it could fall very easy and neither did the back one but thats because of the break,and they still never laid down like they were supposed to.I'm racking my brain trying to figure some kind of Conduit bend that will work,similar to that Phoniex design or maybe even a 2 piece like the popup panels only using conduit pipe....
  • 0

#27 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

Got a lot of work done on it this weekend,I got the liner all tucked in,I have a couple puckers here and there but turned out alright.r%20side_zpsbslcaoca.jpg

I finally did it I did away with the pop up panels and used 3/4" conduit.I still need to clean these up but I'm real happy how it turned out.bars_zps2bneuowl.jpg

I did the same fold out as the panels.bars_zps2bneuowl.jpg

here's the back,back%20bars_zpsi7eejso6.jpg

Front,front%20bars_zpszcgowgs1.jpg

and the fold down,fold%20down_zps1cdzoctq.jpg

I still need to put some kind of extension handle on them that's why those rings are there..


  • 0

#28 billharr

billharr

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:57 AM

Looking forward to how the lift pipes work out for you. A lot simpler than the panels. Will you add any lift assist?


  • 0

#29 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

    Free Range Human

  • Site Team
  • 9,111 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:35 AM

Like Bill, I am looking forward to seeing how this works out.   It's neat to see improvisation in our campers.  


  • 0

Real Dogs Have Beards - Fear the Beard
Tu Ne Cede Malis


#30 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

I was thinking about using 30lb gas struts as assists,and probably will.i just want to find out what kind of brackets everyone is using,straight,off set or what.
  • 0




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users